MRIDULA's Reviews > Tarikshir: The Awakening

Tarikshir by Khayaal Patel

|4.0 stars|
Full review @https://ecstaticyetchaotic.wordpress....

When I was asked to review this book, the author had presented me with a question: “Don’t you want to know who Tarikshir is?”

The book ‘Tarikshir: The Awakening’ revolved around that exact question. Tarikshir is a mysterious force that is evil from its very core. Tarikshir has lied dormant for years and his one true desire is to come alive and wreak havoc. The events are set in motion when Valikesh- a monkey in the army of Lord Hanuman acquires a gem that is both vibrant and powerful.

The plot then moves to the year 1826 and a kingdom called Devangarh is trying to protect itself from the clutches of the British. But the king has other, dangerous hobbies. When the king is assassinated, Rudra- the young prince sets on a path to unravel the truth behind his father’s death and other mysterious deaths happening all over the kingdom.

The book has a very simple language, which is both fluid and full of suspense. The characters have been kept to a minimum and the focus has been only towards the major events that shape the plot. The author’s crisp imagination adds the drama and makes the plot uncanny and dark. The story certainly keeps our curiosity alive only to give us a final, adventurous showdown.

There are a couple of things that bothered me, especially the conversation part. Each character in the novel adds a certain dimension to the plot, but somehow the plot develops more on its own rather than on conversations. Rudra might be brave, but he is also very stubborn. He seta his own path and most of the talk is between Rudra and his head. While it gives an insight into what the protagonist is going through, it also gives a sense of detachment from the rest of the characters. Basically- most of the characters feel like mere intrusions.

Overall, an adventurous plot, full of magic and mystery and action, with some wonderfully written characters- especially the supernatural ones. Definitely Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tarikshir.

October 10, 2018 – Started Reading