Tarissa's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

liked it

I'll start by stating a glaring fact... I had never read Jane Austen before. I've heard about her books for years, and have received many personal recommendations for her books. I love reading classics. I enjoy books written by Jane Austen's contemporaries. Yet when I finally got around to reading one of her titles (Sense and Sensibility), it simply fell short for me.

Maybe I just happened to read the book at the wrong time, and my inner bookworm soul just didn't make nice with it right now. Who's to say that if I read it sometime next year, I'd have ended up with a better impression?

Some of the elements that frustrated me was that the book seemed boring in parts (and I love all kinds of old literature). I couldn't connect well with the sisters, Marianne and Elinor, as they didn't seem to connect well with each other. They weren't spiteful to each other in any way... but they kept secrets from each other and didn't relish their sisterhood like how I wanted them to! -- (think Little Women). Plus their younger sister was completely left out of the picture -- and I wanted to find out who she even was, as very little was ever mentioned. Also, the whole story is extremely romancey -- the entire plot revolves only around who's in love with whom, or who is the most heartbroken over their suitor's callousness. (I guess I just don't care too much for sappy, love-entangled stories... too much.)

I don't give up that easily though! I still plan to blaze the trail ahead (at some point) and try another Austen book sometime.

And one more thing! (Might as well lay it all out there.) I truly detest one character in particular... The Dashwood girls' brother, John. (For certain harsh and over overbearing remarks he shared.) Harumph!

Note to the discerning reader: Contains many mentions of God's name said in vain. As for the rest of the content, it's a clean read otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

October 10, 2018 – Started Reading
October 10, 2018 – Shelved
November 1, 2018 –
page 160
November 8, 2018 –
page 253
December 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

QNPoohBear Try Emma. That may be more your speed. Sense and Sensibility can be a bit slow, I think because it was originally intended to be a novel in letters between Elinor and Marianne.

Tarissa QNPoohBear wrote: "Try Emma. That may be more your speed. Sense and Sensibility can be a bit slow, I think because it was originally intended to be a novel in letters between Elinor and Marianne."

Letters, you say? I just wonder if that could have been more interesting to read, perhaps...

Thanks for the recommendation on Emma!

Marlene I understand your feelings about Sense and Sensibility! It's not my favorite. I like Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, and Pride and Prejudice.