Nicki Markus's Reviews > Blue Monday

Blue Monday by Nicci French

Jan 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-thrillers-mysteries

It has been a while since I last read anything by Nicci French, but this is still a bit of a departure from the books I've read previously from this author.

Frieda is a likable enough heroine and it works well linking her as a psychologist to a criminal investigation; although, it is hardly an original idea. The other characters also came across well and the book was nice and easy to read. There were a lot of perspectives, but it was always clear whose head you were in so that was never a problem.

I really wasn't thrilled by the ending of this book though. Even from the start, I wasn't completely caught up in the tension of the situation and by the end it fizzled out even more. The main problem was that I guessed the final twist far in advance and so the denouement had no thrill for me. I also thought the ending was left a little too open. I know there is a planned series, but, unless the next book picks up absolutely where this left off (which I doubt), I would have liked a little more of a final conclusion to things.

So, three stars it is. This is a fine read for those that like thrillers and the works of Nicci French, but I just felt there was something missing as I didn't find myself on the edge of my seat.

I received this book as a free e-book ARC from NetGalley.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Monday.

January 3, 2012 – Shelved