Larry H's Reviews > What If It's Us

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

I got up super early this morning to download Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera's new book, What If It's Us, and I have officially devoured it. All it took was reading during lunch, at every red light on the way home from work, at the chiropractor, and then after dinner this evening.

One book written by two of my favorite YA authors equals ALL. THE. FEELS.

"I believe in love at first sight. Fate, the universe, all of it. But not how you're thinking. I don't mean it in the our souls were split and you're my other half forever and ever sort of way. I just think you're meant to meet some people. I think the universe nudges them into your path."

Arthur is in New York for the summer before his senior year of high school, working as an intern at a branch of his mother's law firm. For a boy from a small town in Georgia, New York is everything he dreamed it would be—although he hasn't made any friends save the two summer associates who serve as his supervisors, and he hasn't met any boys.

Then one day, en route to pick up a coffee order for the law firm, he spots a cute boy carrying a box to the post office. He does the supremely non-Arthur thing and strikes up a conversation. Despite the fact that the boy is mailing a box of things back to his ex-boyfriend, the two definitely have a meet-cute, but then they are separated before they can get each other's phone numbers.

While Arthur believes the universe is trying to tell him something about this boy, Ben doesn't believe in signs from the universe. He'll be the first to admit that this cute boy intrigues him, although he can't figure out how to find him. But eventually they are reunited, and tentatively embark on a roller coaster of a relationship, even knowing that Arthur will be returning home to Georgia at the end of the summer.

Are two people destined to be together? If so, can they weather the storm of jealousy, meddling best friends, parental drama, tardiness, miscommunication, and fears of inadequacy? Is it worth trying—and trying again—if you know you have a finite amount of time to be together?

What If It's Us is an absolutely lovable, poignant, adorable book about two boys trying to listen to the universe—and fight it—in their quest to be together. It's a book about friendship, family, jealousy, and finding yourself, and having the confidence to realize you're worth being fought for. And it's a book about trying to make a relationship work in one crazy world.

Albertalli and Silvera have written some of my favorite YA books over the last several years, so I had so much anticipation for this book. I'm so happy to say that this book was as good as I was hoping it would be—it didn't depress me like so many of Silvera's books but it made me feel the full range of emotions that both authors have made me feel previously.

You know what will happen in this book for the most part (I was briefly off course with one plot thread, but pleased my thoughts didn't come to fruition) and you want to take this ride anyway. And hopefully, in the end, you're glad you did. I know I am, despite being sad it's over now!!

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com, or check out my list of the best books I read in 2017 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2017.html.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What If It's Us.

October 9, 2018 – Started Reading
October 9, 2018 – Shelved
October 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Glad this was such a winner for you Larry & well worth waking up extra early for!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wow! Fabulous review Lar! This sounds great! So glad you loved it!! 💙

message 3: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Awesome review Larry!!! Yeah! So so glad this was a winner for you! :)

message 4: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Your review has convinced me I must read this book. :-)

message 5: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Imran Already wanted to read this book. Your review convinced me even more!

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra Awesome review, Larry!

Lynn (Smile24k) Great review! This is currently on my to read list and hopefully I will get to it this year.

message 8: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review, Larry!

message 9: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron Sounds like a charming story, Larry. Nicely reviewed!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Terrific review, Larry !! Sounds like a beautiful story 💙

Julia Great review! I'm glad that you loved it, I can't wait for the book to be published next week here in the UK!

Xueting Love your review! I can’t wait to read this book and your praise got me even more hyped up!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Love your review Larry. . . I’m adding this one! 💚

Jamie I am so glad to see you loved this as much as I did!

message 15: by Annette (new)

Annette C Good review, checking this out. I'm so in need of romance just now.

message 16: by Toni (new)

Toni Sounds great. Love your review.

message 17: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Excellent review, Larry! This sounds wonderful!

Larry H (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Glad this was such a winner for you Larry & well worth waking up extra early for!"

It absolutely was, Bern!!

Larry H Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wow! Fabulous review Lar! This sounds great! So glad you loved it!! 💙"

Thanks, Linds! It's so great when two of your favorite authors team up and knock it out of the park!!

Larry H Susanne wrote: "Awesome review Larry!!! Yeah! So so glad this was a winner for you! :)"

Thanks, Susanne! Yes, I was so glad--I've been waiting for this one since I heard they were teaming up!!

Larry H Debbie wrote: "Your review has convinced me I must read this book. :-)"

Thanks, Debbie! I hope you enjoy it, too!

Larry H Rida wrote: "Already wanted to read this book. Your review convinced me even more!"

Hope you enjoy it, Rida! I loved it!!

Larry H Debra wrote: "Awesome review, Larry!"

Thanks so much, Debra!!

Larry H Smile24k wrote: "Great review! This is currently on my to read list and hopefully I will get to it this year."

Thanks, Smile! I hope you do, too!

Larry H Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Larry!"

Thanks, Angela!!

Larry H Zoeytron wrote: "Sounds like a charming story, Larry. Nicely reviewed!"

Thanks, Zoey! Yes, charming and absolutely sweet.

Larry H Megan wrote: "Terrific review, Larry !! Sounds like a beautiful story 💙"

Thanks, Megan!! It really was!!

Larry H Julia wrote: "Great review! I'm glad that you loved it, I can't wait for the book to be published next week here in the UK!"

Thanks, Julia!! I hope you love it, too!

Larry H Xueting wrote: "Love your review! I can’t wait to read this book and your praise got me even more hyped up!"

Thanks, Xueting! Hope I don't overhype it for you, and I hope you enjoy!!

Larry H Lisa wrote: "Love your review Larry. . . I’m adding this one! 💚"

Thanks, Lisa!! Enjoy!!

Larry H Jamie Rosenblit wrote: "I am so glad to see you loved this as much as I did!"

Thanks, Jamie! It was as good as I had hoped it would be!!

Larry H Annette wrote: "Good review, checking this out. I'm so in need of romance just now."

Thanks, Annette! It makes you feel good!

Larry H Toni wrote: "Sounds great. Love your review."

Thanks, Toni!!

Larry H Cheri wrote: "Excellent review, Larry! This sounds wonderful!"

Thanks, Cheri! It really was!!

message 35: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!