Lucy's Reviews > Those Left Behind

Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon

Jan 03, 2012

Read in January, 2009

As a fan of Firefly, I was naturally disappointed that it had such a short life as a tv series, and ecstatic when it was given a second shot at life with the movie. However, there were a lot of plot points which got established in the tv series, but never had a chance to come to fruition. The movie wasn’t able to resolve everything, so I had high hopes for this comic.

Mostly I was very satisfied with this book. It did a good job of rounding up the unanswered questions for the series, and giving them a bit more room to breath. Not everything gets resolved in this book, and some stuff I felt got resolved a little to quickly, but there’s another volume, Serenity: Better Days, so more questions may be answered there. Overall, it sets the movie up well.

It also includes an intro by Nathan Fillion, who Whedon fans will recognize as Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly/Serenity and Captain Hammer in Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, which was really entertaining.

This book is definitely intended for a pre-established fan base, and doesn’t really serve as a good introduction to the series as a whole. If you’re intrigued by Serenity: Those Left Behind, I highly recommend the tv series, Firefly, to fans of Science Fiction, Westerns, and witty writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Left Behind.