Kelly's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel

To Kill a Mockingbird by Fred Fordham

liked it
bookshelves: comics, read-in-2018, reviewed

A faithful adaptation, for better or worse.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Edelweiss. Trigger warning for rape and racist violence.)

My feelings on this are conflicted and messy:

- How do you judge an adaptation of an existing work: on its own merits, or in its faithfulness to the source material? On the latter point, Fred Fordham's adaptation is a definite success. His graphic novel adaptation is loyal to both the plot and tone of Harper Lee's classic, and even plays on the nostalgia of the 1962 movie. Comic book Atticus is a dead ringer for Gregory Peck, and the Finch kids resemble their respective actors as well.

- My first experience with To Kill a Mockingbird was as a tween, well before I had to tools and knowledge to identify its more problematic aspects, chiefly the novel's inherent racism. Revisiting the story as an adult, in a different format, was...jarring. Some of the racism is plainly evident, e.g., is it ever okay for a white writer to use the n-word, even if historically accurate? And isn't it kind of gross for a story about Jim Crow racism and the lynching of a black man to center white voices? But there are so many layers to unpack, including liberal hero Atticus Finch's racism. (If he existed today, Atticus might be one of people pleading for "civility" from both sides. Yuck.) I found myself cringing as much as tearing up.

And that's kind of the crux of the matter, right? No doubt To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel will evoke all sorts of nostalgia (coupled with an irrational desire to protect and defend a cherished piece of one's childhood), especially in white Americans; but don't let that prevent you from engaging with the book critically.

fwiw, I'd love to see a reimagining of Harper Lee's story told from Calpurnia or Helen Robinson's perspective.

October 9, 2018 – Started Reading