SSShafiq's Reviews > The Electric State

The Electric State by Simon Stålenhag

U 50x66

bookshelves: sff, comics

This came on my radar based on Trish’s review (see: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) so I was super excited when I found my library had a copy.

I knew I was in for a weird ride when the page showed giant rubber ducks riddled by bullets but I was surprised by how much I loved this. The art is fantastic - it’s weird and unique. Each page is like a painting, almost real but one step to the side. It made me feel - which in itself is a testament to the quality of the work - but more than that, it left a dreamy, sad impact. This was possibly because the story is deliberately spare.

There is text here but it doesn’t provide much in terms of explanation of background - it’s mostly musing and vignettes with the art providing most of the context and word building. I was afraid that would irk me but a couple of pages in I forgot about trying to understand what was happening and just decided to experience. If you let yourself sink into the experience without worrying about how the world got there, it will work better. The ending especially broke my heart (which also meant that I had to take a break while reading this)

I would highly recommend this book to everyone - I am seriously thinking of buying this for my shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Electric State.

October 9, 2018 – Shelved
October 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 9, 2018 – Shelved as: sff
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: comics
October 2, 2019 – Started Reading
October 2, 2019 –
page 19
13.19% "I pick this up on a whim for the library not knowing too much about this. I knew I was in for a weird ride when the page showed giant rubber ducks riddled by bullets."
October 2, 2019 –
page 40
27.78% "Fantastic art - completely lost re. the story but I don’t mind as I think that is the intent. Already I would recommend picking this up for the visual impact alone.

This is my type of “coffee table” book."
October 11, 2019 –
99.0% "This was weird and I think it broke my heart - the ending.

Review to follow as soon as I understand what happened!"
October 11, 2019 – Finished Reading