InkBitten's Reviews > The Declaration

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: sarah
Read in December, 2011

Judged by the Cover: Repulsively Alluring

The first thing you obviously notice about this cover is the insanely creepy face that seems to be staring..... DIRECTLY INTO YOUR SOUL! After that, you just can't look away, though. The words written over the face actually have a huge significance to the novel, and the title is clearly and prominently displayed. Plus the tag line makes you think, what would you do for eternal life?

What's Up?

In the not-too-distant future, death has been eradicated. No one grows old, or even suffers from debilitating diseases. But if no one's dying, no one can be born. Which means Anna shouldn't exist. All her life she's grown up in Granger Hall, being told that she is a crime against Mother Nature. The only thing she can possibly do is to work hard as a maid to become a "Useful Assest." When a new boy named Peter shows up Anna's world is turned upside down. Peter says that people shouldn't live forever, and that maybe, just maybe, Anna has a place in this world after all.

Character: Yes!!!!

It isn't often that I read a book that has both a developed plot and excellently written main characters. Anna was believable, and I even sympathized with how much brain washing she had gone through. So much so, I didn't even mind that she acted like a brat for the first half of the book. The way she talked and wrote was elegant, which made me like her even more. In fact, the author wrote her so well, want her to be my sister.

Romance: SQUEEEE

Peter and Anna have one of the sweetest, most innocent relationships I've seen in a teen novel. In fact, their 'love story' starts out as nothing more than a very devoted friendship, which isn't something that you see portrayed in any kind of media today. and the few lines Anna said at the end of that book, made their relationship even more tender.

Bonus Features: Pick Your Poison

The book deals with one very simple question, which almost everyone has asked themselves at one time or another. How much would you sacrifice to live forever? After that, the questions went even deeper (though it wasn't necessary to think about them in order to enjoy the plot). Can the government mandate how many children you can have? How subjective is science? How much should everyone have to sacrifice 'for the common good?'

Dystopian Society

I've always loved books that are set in a world gone wrong. It speaks a lot about our society today to see what we might become in the future. In the Hunger Games, it was violence, and in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, it was beauty. Obviously, this one dealt with one of the most important worries of the human race,
Death.

Change of Heart

Ms. Malley does an excellent job of writing Anna's character change when she begins to learn new information. Thankfully, it isn't just an, "Oh, that makes sense" sort of moment. Rather, Anna goes through different stages, such as disbelief, anger, grief, and even, acceptance. It might have been a bit irritating to hear her spout misinformed jargon for the first few chapters, but at least it was what a real person would be like.

Final Flavor: Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Squares

It isn't often that I find books that have both plots and characters I enjoy. At the same time though, this book fills a very particular niche that is only going to be enjoyed by a select few. If you like science fiction books that are going to make you question what you believe in, then pick this book up. If not, it might not be something to put at the top of your reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.