Jessica's Reviews > Admit One: My Life in Film

Admit One by Emmett James

Jun 26, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: review-copy

I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

The first question I have when I encounter a memoir is why did this person feel compelled to write about his life? Did he do something particularly amazing with his life? Did he overcome some great obstacle? Did he play a part in a major historical event? Did he at least marry an important person? Did he live in a third-world country? In this particular case, none of the above seem to apply. Emmett James recounts his youthful encounters with movies and his later efforts to become a working actor in Hollywood.

Admit One: A Journey Into Film consists of twenty-two chapters, each with a movie as its title and theme. While I like the idea as a concept, the execution left something to be desired. Forcing each chapter to comport with a movie made all of the recollections seem contrived. James obviously felt obligated to mention each movie as though he had seen it during the relevant time period and as though he had made the connection between it and his particular circumstance at the time. Also, it made the writing and the timeline choppy and disjointed. Each of the chapters was like a vignette that failed to fit in with the others.

I was often turned off by the angry tone of the book and by James’s less-than-generous attitude towards the people who played roles in his stories. He belittles his grandparents, his parents, his siblings, and his friends. None of his relationships in the book even seem important to him. In fact, James seems to be all alone. At the end of the book, there is no one there with him. Also, he never seems to think about the affect of his actions, from his stint stalking a famous director to his forgery business.

There were a few interesting points. My favorite chapter was the Star Wars chapter. James’s retelling of the affect the Star Wars movies (and marketing) had on him helped me to understand other Star Wars lovers in my life. Also, the story of his quest to obtain a Star Wars toy from Santa was pretty compelling. Others of the stories were interesting, but generally cut out too soon. For example, James recounts how he snuck his way into an Oscar party in Hollywood, but didn’t tell the reader anything about the party. In another story, James recounts how he was a steward in the blockbuster Titanic, but then does not tell the reader anything about the shoot. In all, though, I was nonplussed by James’s attitude and life story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Admit One.

June 26, 2008 – Shelved