AJ's Reviews > Once Upon a Real Good Time

Once Upon a Real Good Time by Lauren Blakely

bookshelves: audio, romantic, series-book-1, steamy

4.5 stars!

Oh my damn, I freaking loved this book! A fun, flirty, sexy and chemistry-filled romance with delicious chemistry and a fantastic build up, and oh-so functional! I loved these characters, I loved them together, and I loved their story.

Campbell is a former child-star and teen heart throb. Together with his two brothers, he was a part of the hugely popular boy-band, the Heartbreakers. That is all well in the past though, and Campbell is now a single father to a highly independent 14-year-old daughter, writing and teaching music, and he plays in a small band in bars around NYC.

Mackenzie is a single parent to a 13-year-old musical genius. She works independently and has moulded her life around caring for her son, with her social life pretty much limited to bar quiz nights where she gets to show off her mad trivia skills.

Mackenzie and Campbell have shared lusty glances during quiz nights before, and when they finally talk to each other their night ends in an epic sexual encounter that blows them both away. They were both in it for one night, but knew immediately that it wouldn’t be enough, and they both know they’re on the cusp of something that has the potential to be life-changing. And then it turns out that Campbell is the new music teacher for Mackenzie’s son, and everything between them comes to a screeching halt.

Mackenzie doesn’t want to risk complicating what could be an awesome opportunity for her son and Campbell respects that, and so they become reluctant friends instead of the lovers they so madly want to be. They hang out, they open up, they flirt and joke and tease about how much they want each other, and they’re so honest about it all! It’s so much fun watching them trying to keep their distance while their lives easily and naturally become completely entangled, and I loved every moment of it!

It’s so rare that you can enjoy a finger bang in the kitchen, rather than a cup of soup.

But surely it wouldn’t matter if they act on their mad chemistry… as long as nobody knows? Well, we all know how that’s going to work out, and all of it is just fantastic. Fun, funny, seriously sexy (with a healthy dose of dirty talk) and gorgeously, naturally romantic. They truly follow their hearts, and I respect that they are both devoted single parents who put their children first. It’s all about finding that balance and I thought their story was so beautifully told.

“Bend for me, Sunshine,” he whispers in my ear, while grinding his erection against me. “Bend for us so we can have each other again. We’ll just have rules.”

I loved the dynamic that Campbell’s background brought to the story. Not only is it lots of fun, but it is such a special part of Campbell’s relationship with his two brothers Miller and Miles, and I’m so looking forward to going straight on to their books.

I listened to this as an audiobook, and as always, the pairing of Sebastian York and Andie Arndt is pure magic. This is the sort of role that Sebastian plays so well, and Andie is perfect in pretty much everything. It’s listening gold and super short. I blitzed through it in a day.

This was such a fun read. I highly recommend it for fans of light, easy, sexy romance. I loved it!

4.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Real Good Time.

Quotes AJ Liked

Lauren Blakely
“It’s so rare that you can enjoy a finger bang in the kitchen, rather than a cup of soup”

Lauren Blakely
“You’re looking at me like I’m the answer to all your prayers.”

Lauren Blakely
“It feels like I took a different turn down the road. Like we started with raw heat, and we sped through rough-and-fast land, and now we’ve veered someplace else entirely. We’re driving down a new road, and this one’s a little more dangerous, but it’s fantastic in its own way.
Because it’s closer.
It’s more intimate.
It’s a connection I didn’t expect but can’t deny.”

October 8, 2018 – Shelved