Melinda's Reviews > Butterfly's Child

Butterfly's Child by Angela Davis-Gardner

Jan 03, 2012

it was ok
Read from January 03 to 07, 2012

Judging by the synopsis, I was hoping that this book contained more potential. Only being vaguely familiar with the opera "Madama Butterfly", I anticipated that this book would provide an enticing subplot as well as the continuation of the story. It did attempt both, but the story fell flat and predictable so often, that I became eager to have it come to an end. Frank Pinkerton is, at best, an odious character; closed, cruel and resentful. His wife, Kate, had some possibility in the beginning, but her inability to cope with her situation and her overall lack of joy became flat-out annoying after a while. Then, there's Benji. With him, I gained a better understanding of what it would be like for a young transplant from Japan to try to make his way in a small farming town in the United States.
This story exemplifies the notion that honesty in one's feelings and impressions is of paramount importance when faced with discouraging situations; at the least, to accept the help of others. This novel does none of this which, I guess is why it seemed to drag on instead of pick up the pace as I read along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly's Child.