Marisa's Reviews > Everybody Sees the Ants

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: boybooks, ya
Read in January, 2012

Really, really fantastic book which I imagine would be equally appealing to girls or boys. Raises some pretty serious questions, and will undoubtedly get kids interested in the Vietnam War draft, without being at all dry or preachy. I must have been very focused on reading, because I have not passages dog eared at all until the very end of the book. And some of thing I did dog ear are really terrible quotes taken out of context, even though they gave me goosebumps re-reading them. And one of them I really, really want to share, but it would ruin the whole book for you. So here are the two I *can* share with you:

"Her confidence is lifelong and enormous, the way my lack of confidence is lifelong and enormous. I look at the other girls -- they all have it. I am the only one who can't laugh at funny jokes about myself. I am the only one pretending.
And pretending leads here. It guarantees nervous sweating anytime anyone talks honestly and the unreasonable fear that someone will say something that's true."

"She nods as if she know exactly what I'm talking about and, wiping her eyes, adds, "And anyway, I don't even use the stupid shampoo."
I think that's the perfect way to explain how I feel about everything in the world. I don't even use the stupid shampoo.
I have spent a lifetime chasing an old man abandoned by people who didn't think he deserved to come home. I have spent my whole life living with a man who didn't think he deserved a father, a woman who thought she didn't deserve a say in her own life. It's all trickled down to me.
I've spent a lifetime being pushed around by Nader McMillan because I didn't think I deserved any better. Because I thought someone else should do something to make it stop. But that will never happen, because everyone who could have stopped it uses the shampoo."

"The world is full of assholes. What are you doing to make sure you're not one of them?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everybody Sees the Ants.