Venessa's Reviews > Black City Saint

Black City Saint by Richard A. Knaak

Recommended for: fans of historical fiction & urban fantasy -- nice mashup

I'm reading these books because I'm going to be doing a review on Book 3 for a website I contribute to. So I'm plowing through books 1 and 2 :)

I love the 1920s Chicago time/location! This is what actually drew me to the series. I've always been fascinated by the 20s and the entire role of the mob in social and cultural fabrics of the time. it's really clear that the author put a lot of research into this time period. Sometimes it was a little too clear (ie - the author was dropping details that weren't necessarily important -- particularly about cars ;) ). But those were not problematic at all, for me. Just noticeable.

The other thing I really liked about this book is the portrayal of Feyrie. Original folklore about the fey show them as ... well, narcissistic sociopaths at best. Psychopathic at worst. And I really feel that these books kept to those traditional ideas about the fey.

I also found the "retelling" of the St. George tale, the twist on it, really engaging. Not gonna spoil it, but it's revealed within the first 75 or so pages.

The only thing I found occasionally problematic was the relationship between Nick and Claryce. It felt very angsty on his side and it felt like she latched on to him WAY before there was anything to warrant it. There is some previous connection to him (again, no spoilers), but that as the reason for the fast connection isn't on the page until much much later. Too late, to me. So that bit didn't ring particularly true for me. It wasn't enough to make me put the book down, not anywhere near that. Just a niggling.

So, overall, I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to Book 2! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black City Saint.

October 8, 2018 – Started Reading