Niki's Reviews > A Lord for the Lass

A Lord for the Lass by Amalie Howard

bookshelves: arc, steamy, widow-widower, reformed-rake, hero-is-titled

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher/author for the ARC! All opinions are my own.

In this story our heroine, Makenna, is accused of murdering her abusive husband by his even-more-unhinged cousin and flees her clan, seeking shelter at the estate of Lord Julien Leclerc, whom she had met the previous year at her brother's wedding. The story follows her very slow burn with Julien and her development and growth back into the person she was before she married.

**Potential slight spoilers ahead***
I got really frustrated with her after awhile for being stubborn and putting Julien in danger without really caring about it, when she could've gone to her extremely powerful family to remedy the situation, yet she wouldn't because she didn't want them to get hurt. So she was fine with endangering Julien and his family, just not her own. Makenna also showed some surprising naivete for someone with her experiences, which also threw me off. Even in the end of the book when Julien has shown himself willing to sacrifice everything for her, she still continues to doubt him and his feelings. I understand she had her own issues, but she just grated on my nerves after awhile with her unnecessary risks and selfishness, and at times just plain stupidity. Eventually she finally quit doubting Julien and after quite a bit of narrative, we get our dramatic battle climax and things got more interesting. The middle of this one lagged a bit for me, but it was still a quality story with a good hero and delightful secondary characters later on. If you can stick it out through the middle, you'll be rewarded. Overall, I would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lord for the Lass.

October 8, 2018 – Started Reading