HBalikov's Reviews > National Geographic Rarely Seen: Photographs of the Extraordinary

National Geographic Rarely Seen by Susan Tyler Hitchcock

I've had this book sitting on a table for a few months now. Every so often I pick it up and look at several pages being careful that its bulk and mass doesn't slip out of my grasp and break something important in my house or body.

You may not agree that National Geographic has the best photographers, but few would dispute that their photographers are top level. In this book you will see how far they will go to get extraordinary photos. Into the stratosphere; in the ocean depths; on remote islands; or, places of dangers that few of us can or will try to emulate.

The book is divided into five subject categories: phenomena; life; places; objects and moments. My attention (and imagination) were captured by many if not all of those included. A couple of my favorites were the pattern of rice paddies shot from above and one of a man on horseback fleeing an erupting volcano.

Is this book a necessity? Probably not. Is it worth a trip to the bookstore or library to browse through it? Definitely. (but do be sure that your grip is tight)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Geographic Rarely Seen.

October 8, 2018 – Started Reading
October 8, 2018 – Shelved
January 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Lol -- sounds like you need a proper book stand for this one, H. ;)

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie H,
I laughed at the image of this book falling out of your hands and breaking something precious of your wife's! Be careful, friend.

We've been watching The Blue Planet II with our middle child in the evenings lately. . . and I think that being reminded of the natural beauty of our planet is a good thing.

HBalikov Jane wrote: "Lol -- sounds like you need a proper book stand for this one, H. ;)"

Indeed! Thanks, Jane

HBalikov Julie wrote: "H,

We've been watching The Blue Planet II with our middle child i..."

I've seen the original Blue Planet series and thought it was great, Julie. You are so right about finding ways to remind ourselves about the natural beauty both around us and in other places. Can I assume that Blue Planet II is as good as the first?

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie It’s so good, H!

HBalikov Julie wrote: "It’s so good, H!"

I take all your recommendations seriously, Julie

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie That’s so sweet! Seriously, I said to my daughter that I felt like my mouth was hanging open, watching it. We are able to explore so much farther into the ocean now, and there are creatures down there that look like they’re from another planet. I have found much of it startling!

HBalikov Sounds like some of it touched on the same subject matter that I read about a decade ago. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie Exactly!!

message 10: by Mimi (new)

Mimi This brings back memories of when I used to go to the library and checked out these huge photography books. The accompanying articles were nice, but it was all about the photos for me.

HBalikov Mimi wrote: "This brings back memories of when I used to go to the library and checked out these huge photography books. The accompanying articles were nice, but it was all about the photos for me."

Right with you, Mimi!