Michelle 's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012

My twin tried to get me to read this book MONTHS ago - but did I listen even though she reads everything I recommend to her? Nope. Do I wish I would have? Yep. Switched by Amanda Hocking got me out of my reading slump and I devoured it in a day. The story is unique and interesting and I enjoyed everything about it.

Wendy has always been different than the rest of the kids her age - more contrary, more demanding, and very distant with other people. When Wendy discovers she has an ability to make people do what she is thinking she really starts to wonder why she is so different. And then Finn shows up and everything in Wendy's life turns upside down.

I wasn't sure how this book was going to be since it was about trolls - but the trolls in Switched are not the trolls you see in other fantasy books. The trolls in Switched are Trylle - a beautiful species that is nearly extinction. Hocking creates a very interesting mythology about the Tyrlle - one that is full of drama that Wendy is completely thrown into without any desire whatsoever.

The characters in Tyrlle are completely enchanting. Wendy is so damaged from her crazy childhood which results into a personality that isn't completely lovely but I adore that about her. At the beginning of Switched she is very standoffish - she doesn't make friends easily and has moved around a lot. As the story progresses, Wendy starts to find her way - I really enjoyed seeing her grown and develop as a character. As for the boys in Switched - well, there are many to choose from. All the boys in Switched are swoon-worthy and the best part is there isn't a love triangle to deal with (at least not yet?).

Hocking's Switched is a fast, fun read. I completely enjoyed it and can not wait to get my hands on the other two books in the series to find out what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.