Energy's Reviews > Ugly

Ugly by Margaret McHeyzer

54301934

Raised from a young age by her father, she is mentally and physically abused, told she is ugly and worthless. It doesn't matter that her grades are superb, that she will be the class Valedictorian, because the cycle of abuse has started, and Lily can't see anything more in herself. So when she meets Trent, who only has intentions to carry on the cycle of abuse, she sees hope, she sees a way out. And the cycle starts all over again.
McHeyzer didn't hold back telling Lily's story and I think for sensitive readers, they will find it hard to read. I would like to think I'm immune to such stories but the truth is, reading it is defeating, and I think it would leave any reader feeling exhausted and emotional. Her naivete was a bit out there for me, as I can understand a child that has been given literally nothing, but to not have had pizza or popcorn, seems a stretch in today's world where such things are given at school. I wondered why she wasn't afforded school lunch from the state, but it's easy when your parent doesn't fill out the paperwork.
I think it's really easy to sit back and judge Lily for her choices that she made after she was out of her abusive home, but when abuse starts so young, it causes severe damage, it alters the way one sees themselves and without therapy, the harm stays, usually in the form of PTSD, or in Lily's case, C-PTSD. It's nice this story had a happy ending because it's all too easy for people to not get the help they need, to stay in the abusive relationship or never get out of the abusive home.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ugly.

October 7, 2018 – Started Reading