Shin Mon Thway's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

So .. I warn you in advance. This is going to be the unpopular opinion of the book. 😁 I was really ecstatic when I got an ARC of this book two months ago. I was seriously so happy. 🙂 And I started reading it and it was enjoyable until the politics stuff started. I paused at 50% mark for one month and couldn’t bring myself to continue reading it. I was that bored of the book. 🤷‍♀️ But when I saw this is finally released and everyone and their mothers in my friend list have given this book 5 stars, I thought at least I owed it to the other readers to have a diverse and honest opinion on this book instead of me DNFing it because I was bored. 😶

First of all, I had such high expectations on this book. I mean a romance between the prince of England and the son of the US president? It surely is gay equivalent of a fairytale. In my opinion, “the idea of this book worked better than the actual book”. And I think the main reason why this didn’t work for me because I’m not an American. 🙂 I try to keep up with the politics and I have general idea about how things work. However, I have no idea about how the whole US presidency campaigns or elections work and ... and ... this is a big “but”, I’m NOT interested in learning how it works in this book. If I wanted some knowledge about presidency or campaigns or how the whole system works, I would have read a book about past presidents memoirs, biographies or related books on that subject. I expected romance and instead I got a really long lecture about how the system works which again, I’m not interested. 🤷‍♀️ And the way the royal family of England was portrayed, I think it was a bit “assuming too much”? Especially how the fictional queen was portrayed, obstinate, air-head figure head who only considers about rules and her decorum .. it grated a bit of wrong nerves for me. I’m not saying I didn’t love the romance between Alex and Henry. It does get better especially after they were very publicly outed. But I wish I got more of them instead of info dump. 😅 Again, if you are an American, by all means, you are very likely to love it wayyyyyyy more than I did but for me, it was expectations fell very short. It read more like a political propaganda than a romance to me. 😑 Call me shallow, I wanted my gay fairytale and not elections and campaigns and White House speeches. I guess I’ll stay away from mainstream LGBT books for awhile now. 🙂

2.75 Not really a fairytale stars
⭐️⭐️🌟

Disclaimer: An advanced review copy of this book was provided by the author via NetGalley for an honest and unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

October 8, 2018 – Shelved
October 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-buy
November 17, 2018 – Shelved as: audio-wish-list
March 8, 2019 – Started Reading
March 10, 2019 –
32.0% "😂😂😂👏👏👏

He’s not sure if he should take anything else off. He’s unsure of the dress code for inviting your sworn -enemy -turned -fake -best -friend up to your room to have sex with you, especially when that room is in the White House, and especially when that person is a guy, and especially when that guy is the Prince of England."
March 10, 2019 –

May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: virgins-mm
May 15, 2019 – Shelved as: slow-burn
May 18, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Hope you love this book! <3 It's so soft

Shin Mon Thway Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Hope you love this book! <3 It's so soft"

I'm liking it but the conversation between Alex and the White House secretary is annoying me. I don't think they'd use "fuck, dick, and such expletives" that much in real life. :/

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Ah yeah, the language they use is very...visually graphic. Zahra especially is a bit OTT with the amount of 'fucks' she gives. literally. Hope it gets better for you, babe <3

Shin Mon Thway Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Ah yeah, the language they use is very...visually graphic. Zahra especially is a bit OTT with the amount of 'fucks' she gives. literally. Hope it gets better for you, babe <3"

Will get back with a full report after I finish reading it. :D

Eugenia Can’t wat for your review. But...that cover kinda blows—not in a good way!

Shin Mon Thway Eugenia wrote: "Can’t wat for your review. But...that cover kinda blows—not in a good way!"

So far I'm loving it but yes, the cover definitely could be better. :D

Trio did you finish? This one is slow going for me...

Shin Mon Thway Trio wrote: "did you finish? This one is slow going for me..."

I'm around 55% and I've been busy for a couple days so I haven't read more yet.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan  Well, feck me sideway, Shin!!
FIRST 3 Stars review I see around 😵🤯
Sorry it was nothing special to you. x

Shin Mon Thway Jan wrote: "Well, feck me sideway, Shin!!
FIRST 3 Stars review I see around 😵🤯
Sorry it was nothing special to you. x"

Just finished reviewing. Please read why this didn’t work for me. And that’s why I wrote this review because I think it needs some honest opinion. 🤷‍♀️

message 11: by Vanna (new)

Vanna Sounds too political for me as well Shin! Great honest review btw..

message 12: by Lyn (new)

Lyn I knew this book wouldn't work for me, that's why I didn't bother to add it to my tbr. I'm not a fan of politics to begin with, so I want it in my Romance reads. Excellent and honest review, babe! xoxo

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan  Dear Dawg! This is not a shallow matter, you just like your romances romantic, sweetheart! 😍💕 and hawt! 😅💘
Thank you for writing this review, Shin.
It might , might work for me.xx

message 14: by Snjez (new) - added it

Snjez I'm also not interested in politics, or royalty, but I still want to give it a try just because of all those 5 star reviews. Thank you for your honest opinion, I'll definitely lower my expectations now 🙂

message 15: by J (new) - added it

J A really good, honest review. I don't like politics in my reads, liberal or conservative. I am going to read this book and hope that a discussion of the process of politics doesn't dissolve into ugly name calling.

Vivian Stevenson This book was adorable but I can agree that I got a little bored at some point. I just had my kindle read it to me. I'm glad you gave us an honest review!

message 17: by Zuzu (new)

Zuzu I couldn’t make it past the first chapter. I don’t want to read about politics.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ I hate politics in my books too. Not sure about this one, especially since I heard it's low steam.

Susan I finished this one yesterday and I totally agree. I hate politics and since I'm not American either I just didn't care..

message 20: by Bev (new) - added it

Bev Politics holds no interest for me in my reading either, so I totally get you Shin and don't think I would have finished it. Great review xo

Shin Mon Thway Vanna wrote: "Sounds too political for me as well Shin! Great honest review btw.."

I also didn’t realize it was going to be that political. If I knew beforehand, I wouldn’t request an ARC.

Shin Mon Thway Lyn wrote: "I knew this book wouldn't work for me, that's why I didn't bother to add it to my tbr. I'm not a fan of politics to begin with, so I want it in my Romance reads. Excellent and honest review, babe! ..."

Yes, I don’t think this is your cuppa too. I thought it would be more like the ones in our industry but this is very YA/NA-ish with lots of politics.

Shin Mon Thway Jan wrote: "Dear Dawg! This is not a shallow matter, you just like your romances romantic, sweetheart! 😍💕 and hawt! 😅💘
Thank you for writing this review, Shin.
It might , might work for me.xx"

Ok, I’m really looking forward to your review though because I know we see most of the things eye to eye. But I would have loved to read a review explaining why it works for them instead of just raving and raving. Will keep an eye on your review babe. And thanks for always supporting and understanding. You ARE the best. 💜

Shin Mon Thway Snjez wrote: "I'm also not interested in politics, or royalty, but I still want to give it a try just because of all those 5 star reviews. Thank you for your honest opinion, I'll definitely lower my expectations..."

Yes, if you didn’t have that much of high expectations, you’d probably enjoy this way more than me. Regardless, I’m excited to read more reviews from people who didn’t receive an ARC. They are more likely to have more honest and diverse opinions. 🙂

Shin Mon Thway J wrote: "A really good, honest review. I don't like politics in my reads, liberal or conservative. I am going to read this book and hope that a discussion of the process of politics doesn't dissolve into ug..."

The world is ugly enough as it is and reading is my escapism so I also don’t like politics in my books. And I like my romance books really romantic. 😁 That’s why I didn’t enjoy this book that much. Will be looking forward to your review to read. Good luck and enjoy. 🥰

Shin Mon Thway Vivian wrote: "This book was adorable but I can agree that I got a little bored at some point. I just had my kindle read it to me. I'm glad you gave us an honest review!"

I prefer to read on my Kindle reader rather than on Kindle fire and I thought about preordering this on Audible although I got the ebook as an ARC. Honestly, I’m glad that I didn’t because I wouldn’t be able to finish this if I had to listen this one. At least, I can skim some some political parts when I read.

Shin Mon Thway Zuzu wrote: "I couldn’t make it past the first chapter. I don’t want to read about politics."

I should have known with the first few chapters but I kept hoping it’d get better. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Shin Mon Thway ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "I hate politics in my books too. Not sure about this one, especially since I heard it's low steam."

It is really REALLY low steam. Like fade out and just kisses low steam. And I know you have a destiny voice and preference when it comes to books so I don’t think this’d be your cuppa. But regardless, I always enjoy your reviews so if you ever give this one a chance, I’d love to read your review, I’m curious whether you’ll like it or not. 😁

Shin Mon Thway Susan wrote: "I finished this one yesterday and I totally agree. I hate politics and since I'm not American either I just didn't care.."

Exactly. I didn’t care and I felt like I was being lectured. That part was really tedious. Argh 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Shin Mon Thway Bev wrote: "Politics holds no interest for me in my reading either, so I totally get you Shin and don't think I would have finished it. Great review xo"

Thanks Bev. And I’m very grateful for your support and understanding. I hate reading politics unless it’s history related like Tudors or something. The modern politics is most of the time too BS IMO. 🤷‍♀️

message 31: by Annery (new)

Annery Yep ... lecturing and preachiness don't work for me even when I agree with them ^^

message 32: by ConM (new) - added it

ConM I started, but...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Shin Mon wrote: "fade out and just kisses low steam"

Yeah, this plus the politics means this book is not for me. I figured it would be low steam just by the publishing press. St. Martin's is too mainstream to publish *gasps* gay sex scenes. No way, no how.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Great review. Not a book I’d be interested in reading. Hate politics. Give me my urban and high fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, suspense-thrillers, and paranormal. 😉

Al *the semi serial series skipper* Girl, yes. I didn't understand the hype. It thought it was ok but not what it was hyped up to be.

Shin Mon Thway Annery wrote: "Yep ... lecturing and preachiness don't work for me even when I agree with them ^^"

Right? It just always grates the wrong nerves for me. *sigh*

Shin Mon Thway ConM wrote: "I started, but..."

I know .......... I barely finished.

Shin Mon Thway ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ wrote: "Shin Mon wrote: "fade out and just kisses low steam"

I really don’t get how these people think. Why do they still think sex scenes are dirty or inappropriate? I mean of course unless it’s for minors. It’s a part of human life and everyone know these sells. They just don’t wanna admit they have a hand in it. *sigh*

Shin Mon Thway Kathleen wrote: "Great review. Not a book I’d be interested in reading. Hate politics. Give me my urban and high fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, suspense-thrillers, and paranormal. 😉"

I hate politics too. And I love reading your honest and forthright reviews on the books we both love. ❤️

Shin Mon Thway Al *the semi serial series skipper* wrote: "Girl, yes. I didn't understand the hype. It thought it was ok but not what it was hyped up to be."

Yes, it was too hyped up. I don’t even think the writing is particularly beautiful. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

message 41: by thelastaerie (new) - added it

thelastaerie I’m glad to read a different opinion on this book. It’s on my to-read pile, but I’m not exactly sure... also I’ve already read Lilah Pace’s “His Royal Secret” series And thought those were truly well plotted, and good writing too.

Judith Yes baby! I hated this ( the book,not your review ) x

Shin Mon Thway thelastaerie wrote: "I’m glad to read a different opinion on this book. It’s on my to-read pile, but I’m not exactly sure... also I’ve already read Lilah Pace’s “His Royal Secret” series And thought those were truly we..."

Shin Mon Thway Judith wrote: "Yes baby! I hated this ( the book,not your review ) x"

I know!!!! I was so excited!!!!!!!! Those mainstream books try really hard though. It's kinda sad. xD

message 45: by Cadiva (new) - added it

Cadiva Shin Mon wrote: "I bought those books when it came out and still haven't read them. Gotta bump them up on my TBR and thank you for appreciating my review. <3 ..."

Yes do! They're still the best "royalty" romances which involve the British! (lawd it pisses me off to see Britain turned into England when it comes to the Royal Family) throne albeit a made up one.

Shin Mon Thway Cadiva wrote: "Shin Mon wrote: "I bought those books when it came out and still haven't read them. Gotta bump them up on my TBR and thank you for appreciating my review.

Yes do! They're still the best "royalty"..."

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Excellent ❌⭕️😘

message 48: by Cadiva (new) - added it

Cadiva Shin Mon wrote: "I hear ya. And yes, I'll read them ASAP. And thanks for always supporting me unconditionally. Love you. <3 ..."

always! ❤❤❤

Shin Mon Thway Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Excellent ❌⭕️😘"

Thank you love. It means a lot coming from you. <3

message 50: by Denise (new)

Denise H. You did a great job on your review, darling Shin Mon ! :) x I 'm glad you told the truth, and you're not the only one who disliked it. Have a wonderful day dear.

« previous 1