Gabby's Reviews > Verity

Verity by Colleen Hoover

This was so freaking good. Also, in my opinion this is a straight up psychological thriller, I wouldn't really call this a romantic thriller. (And I loved that about it). This book was unlike anything Colleen Hoover has ever written - it was dark, it was gritty and it was disturbing as fuck in the best way. I couldn't look away, I read this entire book in one sitting, staying up till 2am to finish it.

It's best going into this book knowing absolutely nothing like I did, but if you want an idea of what it's about, read further. This story follows a writer named Lowen who gets asked to complete Verity Crawford's final 3 books in her series after Verity is in a really bad car accident. Lowen decides to take on the challenge of writing Verity's last three books and she moves into Verity's house where her husband Jeremy lives and nurses care for Verity day in and day out. The book starts off with an incredibly graphic car accident scene and from there it sets the mood for an incredibly eerie story.

This book is so interesting and so well-written, I literally couldn't put it down. It reminds me of Tarryn Fisher's writing, in a good way. This is my second favorite book ever from Colleen Hoover (after It Ends With Us). I thought Verity's character was so so so fascinating. I loved reading from Lowen's POV as she discovers all the mysteries behind Jeremy and Verity's marriage and what happened with their children. There were some scenes in this book that were so creepy I actually got chills and was genuinely kind of freaked out. (view spoiler)

I love the ambiguous ending. That ending fucking slayed my life and is part of the reason this will be on my best of 2018 list. (view spoiler) I think Colleen Hoover should write more psychological thrillers like this one because this shit was amazing and unlike anything I've ever read before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Verity.

October 7, 2018 – Shelved
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: thrillers-or-mystery
December 11, 2018 – Shelved as: writers-authors-as-characters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Carla Pilatzkie I gotta know, do you think the letter was the truth? Or another manipulation trick? I'm still thinking about it!!!

Gabby Carla wrote: "I gotta know, do you think the letter was the truth? Or another manipulation trick? I'm still thinking about it!!!"

I don't know I'm still torn about what I think is the truth and I love that it' ambiguous. I kind of feel like the letter was a manipulation though but I don't know!

Gaby (lookingatbooks) I totally think the letter was Verity backtracking to be with Jeremy. If she was a normal person she’d have escaped the house and Jeremy at some point while faking the coma. I think her obsession with him kept her there. Plus the ordeal with Crew and the knife.... wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to kill him as well.

Elizabeth Mellen ^ yes. I could see playing ill to protect herself but if she was afraid she could have got out. She seems clever and waiting around to find the manuscript doesn’t seem smart - she could’ve explained it was an exercise and have gotten Amanda to back her up that it was a suggested exercise.
It just seems like on the frightening scale the police looking into something you didn’t really do is less than your husband trying to kill you and then sticking around 😳 like take Crew and run and screw the manuscript if it was true.

Marti Just starting this and I already feel like I will be up all night.

message 6: by sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

sue It was freakingly freaky good😂🤪 fab review