Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary's Reviews > The Fungus

The Fungus by Harry Adam Knight

bookshelves: horror, request-publisher

'The Fungus' is one of the 80's horror novels that had pretty much faded into obscurity only to come under the horror-loving public's eye again with the release of Grady Hendrix's Paperbacks from Hell. To the great delight of some of us - especially the ones that weren't old enough to be reading horror before they even knew they existed - Valancourt Books recently announced that it would begin re-releasing some of these novels. This is one of the first of the lot.

Permit me one of my rare moments of gushing over the cover. The cover of 'The Fungus' is freaking awesome. The illustration alone is great, but the horrible, sickly orange just elevates it. You know as soon as you lay eyes on it that it's going to be good. Well, so bad it's good, at least. That 'so bad it's good' holds true for the entire novel.

If you are easily offended and/or even vaguely prudish, this is not going to be a novel you will enjoy.  The rest of us, however, are likely to have a blast. 'The Fungus' is spore fun than you can imagine.  It is action-packed, completely ridiculous, and filled with characters you can't help but want to be fungi'd to death immediately. Plus, I loved the ending. For someone who hates tidy wrap-ups at the end of their books, this was absolutely perfect.

Note: There is a small rape scene in this book. However, the circumstances are so outlandish that I didn't even get a twinge at it. Instead it just had me going "Eww! Gross!" and giggling because I was so disgusted. I doubt it'll trigger anyone, but just a heads-up.

The idea behind 'The Fungus' is one that I don't think is ever going to get old. Science tries to fix something, something inevitably happens, and suddenly the world is seemingly doomed. When done right, it's always vastly entertaining. (Though I do wonder what it says about the people who aren't "Science iz evul" that this type of idea fascinates us.)

Overall, I highly enjoyed 'The Fungus' and am glad I had a chance to experience. If it hadn't been for Valancourt re-releasing the title, I probably never would have known it existed! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more books written by the duo known as Harry Adam Knight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fungus.

October 7, 2018 – Started Reading