Simone's Reviews > Muse of Nightmares

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor

1581928

bookshelves: 2019, books-i-recommend, fantasy, ya-novels

4.5 rounded up to 5 but really, who cares?

This is one of those stories that I'm completely blown away. While there were flaws throughout it, I didn't care because the story was just so full of everything.

Without giving away too much, the book returns to Weep where we left Sarai and Lazlo in the hands of Minya. However, the direction the story takes from this point is completely different than I thought. While Strange the Dreamer introduced Lazlo and the Mesarthim and their relationship to each other, Muse of Nightmares dives deeper into this world.

If you recall from Strange the Dreamer, the Mesarthim kids were abandoned by anyone who knows anything about their past. This book dives into that, the citadel, and how everything came to be at the same time deepening the relationships between each other and learning a lot more about characters.

And let me tell you right now, throw all your theories away. Every time I thought I had a beat on what may happen, it was thwarted with new info that totally made me see a character differently. Let the story unfold before you because this book is the ride of a lifetime.

I do believe this book to be a great companion to the story revealing more about the world than continuing the same story between Lazlo and Sarai. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's there and ghostly things happen that I wasn't expecting, but it wasn't just about them and that's what I loved the most.

I will say the only thing that felt off was the length. I can tell Laini Taylor was trying to wrap up all the loose ends, but it felt like the story just wouldn't end. It's not a bad thing because I would have kept reading despite the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muse of Nightmares.

October 7, 2018 – Shelved