Colleen Chesebro's Reviews > Nix Romipen

Nix Romipen by Lyz Russo

After the clash with the Morrigan, Federi, and Paean long for peace away from the captain and his politics, including the lack of privacy aboard the Solar Wind. After all, the two have never had a proper honeymoon or much time alone. To remedy the situation, Federi takes matters into his own hands, and the two escape to Romania, Federi's place of birth.

Once there, Federi recognizes his bond with the Romney has strengthened his resolve as memories of the old gypsy curse of Falco ignite his urge to pursue the Unicate. Everywhere he and Paean look, the Unicate has decimated the people of planet Earth, especially the Romney.

When the couple finally realizes that there is more to the Unicate than meets the eye, is when the story takes a dark turn. Federi pursues the Unicate demons while Paean strikes out on her own, seeking the answers as to why her mother was murdered by the Unicate. She knows she's a "Founder," but doesn't know what that really means.

Then, in the depth of a Unicate Mound, Paean finds Mrs. Flanagan, a childhood friend, who might hold the key to understanding the secrets of the Unicate.

In the true manner of YA fiction, the story explodes as the alien Morrigan, comes to the aide of Paean, saving her life numerous times. Meanwhile, the Intergalactic Council reveals the truth behind Falco's ancient deal to protect the earth. At times, it's hard to know who the good guys are.

By the time Paean lays claim to a 100% genetically human Unicate egg, the reader knows there is still more of this story to be told. Stay tuned...

Lyz Russo, the author, did share that there is more of the story to come. She has relocated from South Africa to Ireland and is presently acclimating her family to their new environment.

I've enjoyed the characters and the writing in this series and am sad to let them go for the time being. I did receive a copy of this book from the author as a gift. I've enjoyed this series so much I had to share my thoughts. However, I did wonder about the meaning of the title "Nix Romipen," and did find this definition:

"Romipen – roma-ness, the lot of being a Roma, the Roma law that bears and molds Roma identity."

"Nix Romipen" centers on the themes of family and belonging, which brings a satisfactory close to the story for now. I'll wait patiently for more adventures of the crew aboard The Solar Wind to come my way.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nix Romipen.

October 3, 2018 – Started Reading