Kristi Cramer's Reviews > The Gender Game

The Gender Game by Bella Forrest

liked it

** spoiler alert ** It was good, but I'm not sure I'll be continuing the series. The story was interesting, but the setting and back-story felt really contrived. It's supposed to be post-apocalyptic, but other than the gender split, and the toxic surroundings, nothing seems to have changed. There's still cell phones, still cars, etc. (Oh, and something she kept calling motorcycles, but aren't like any motorcycle I've ever heard of.) Yes, centuries have apparently passed since the catastrophic events that poisoned the rest of the world, so I guess technology could have been rebooted, but it just didn't feel legit. Why was the place the only place on the planet unaffected by the devastation again? What keeps the poison away? Unless future books prove they really aren't the last civilisation standing... I don't buy it. I could almost suspend my disbelief, but not quite.

Then I also couldn't get behind the narrative. I couldn't quite engage with Violet as a person. I could almost sense her reasoning behind some of her decisions, but so many of them (the decisions) seemed arbitrary, and based on some leaps of logic that I found awfully convenient.

So, what did I like? I really liked the way her relationship with Viggo built. It was sweet and the most believable part of the story. I also liked the premise of her getting sent on a spy mission to recover this mysterious object that is so important to both nations. Just the execution wasn't doing it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gender Game.

September 27, 2018 – Started Reading