Lila's Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Jan 03, 2012

Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Wow... I was blown away by this book. I devoured all three books in series, and immediately wanted to read them all over again. This is why:
Characters- When I talk about main characters in these books, it doesn't feel naturally to say hero or heroine. Here we have Chess- drug addict, self destructive girl who lies everyone, even herself. And I loved her. Believe me, there were times when cheering for Chess wasn't easy, but that's what makes her so believable. She is not some unique world-savior superwoman; she is flawed and because of that I can identify with her on some level. I can't even begin to describe awesomeness that is Terrible. He is truly multi-layered character. Enforcer for a drug lord who looks like nightmare with heart of gold and impeccable manners. For me, the best thing about him were glimpses of his great intelligence. He doesn't have any education (and doing what he does, he doesn't need it), but he came with some logical conclusions that showed me he isn't just man who wants to get things done, but wants to understand also. And, Lex...I actually love Lex, he is the kind of guy that you know it's not smart to fall for, but you can't help it (yeah, bean there, done that..). In one sentence, they are hard to love, but impossible not to.
World- World that Ms Kane created is richly imagined and detailed; it is apocalyptic society with new kind of laws and institutions and all new set of problems that comes with it. Triumph City is not a nice place to live in- it's dark and dangerous place and Downside is it's scariest part.
Great writing- There are some memorable and powerful scenes in these books, but the biggest impression on me left the Graveyard Scene and, of course, the Tunnel Scene. Every word on it's place, every emotion poured out on paper... Stacia Kane is terrifyingly talented. And she has great taste in music! Every time Terrible was in his car, he was listening some of my favorites. This is one of my favorite series and on my automatic buy list. Looking forward Sacrificial Magic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

Quotes Lila Liked

Stacia Kane
“People, she was discovering, were like cockroaches: If you allowed one in, more were sure to follow.”
Stacia Kane, City of Ghosts