Simone's Reviews > Cash

Cash by Garrett Leigh
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
16882244
's review

liked it
bookshelves: series, buddy-read, kindle-unlimited

***3 - 3.5 Stars***

There are a**holes out there that make me simply speechless. How someone in his right mind could hurt - much less kill -something cute like this...

... and call it sports FFS! is beyond me!

Call me naive, but even if I know that fox hunting had a long tradition in the UK, I was not aware that it's still illegally practiced after being banned years ago and hard fought by hardcore activists, so the topic itself was very interesting and an eye-opener for me. Yes, sometimes it was a bit technical, but I think this topic is near and dear to the author, so she tried to be as accurate as possible.

For almost the first half this would have been a solid 4-star-read for me. Unfortunately, from that point on I had some issues with the romance between Cash, the former hunt sab (saboteur) and Rae the active sab, which was in my opinion borned by pursuing their cause. At first it wasn't fast enough for me and in the end it was too fast, if that even makes sense.

Both guys hit it off pretty quickly in a booze-induced cloud of hormones

~ to dwindle down into the friends category - which I was totally fine with,

~ then fall back into some kind of stranger-mode - wherefore I couldn't reconcile the reasoning,

~ over hitting a misunderstanding - which caused an eye-roll from me and led to some additional drama,

~ only to let the romance flare up into L-word territory out of nowhere - which almost made my eyes pop out of my head.

I liked the guys individually, but their connection was not really well-developed IMO. Although this book seriously needed better editing, I overall still enjoyed it (especially the cameos of Lucky and Dom which thankfully happened quite often *heart-eyes*), but not as much as I hoped I would. I'm still looking forward to the next book in this series, though!

***Despite RL throwing a curve ball and all time differences be damned, Cupcake and I did it!!! We had our first BR! Thank you for reading this with me, CC, and what's more, being on the same page here! ❤***
45 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cash.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

October 6, 2018 – Shelved
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: series
December 20, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-read
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
January 25, 2019 – Started Reading
January 27, 2019 –
100.0% "I need some time to ponder over my rating...

"
January 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wynne (new)

Wynne Katherine Enjoy love! xx


Simone Thanks, babe! 😘


message 3: by Shile (new)

Shile Oi.. Sorry about the hunting thing. I never understood how that is a sport. 🤔.. Amazing review babe as always.. Sorry it was not all there. 😞


Cadiva Honest review.

Fox cubs are cute, grown-up foxes are beautiful looking, the devastation they cause to livestock isn't but there's still no need to chase them to death in the name of sport.

There are better ways to control them than with packs of dogs.


Simone Shile wrote: "Oi.. Sorry about the hunting thing. I never understood how that is a sport. 🤔.. Amazing review babe as always.. Sorry it was not all there. 😞"

It's really awful and it's slaughtering, not sport. No animal dies on page here, well not graphically described anyway. :( Thanks, love, I only wish I could've felt the connection between the guys, my rating would've been higher, then. :(


Simone Cadiva wrote: "Honest review.

Fox cubs are cute, grown-up foxes are beautiful looking, the devastation they cause to livestock isn't but there's still no need to chase them to death in the name of sport.

Ther..."


Thanks, Cadiva! <3 Yeah, I totally agree with you. And if that would be the case, I could somewhat see their point. Not their methods - never their methods! - but I could see why they feel the need to do something against it. But this is just about bored rich men trying to boost their egos by showing how superior they are to animals. I can somehow understand why some people turn into such hardcore activists. :(


message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan  Loved your thoughts, Simone <3


message 8: by Cadiva (last edited Jan 28, 2019 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cadiva Simone wrote: "Thanks, Cadiva! <3 Yeah, I totally agree with you. And if that would be the case, I could somewhat see their point. Not their methods - never their methods! - but I could see why they feel the need to do something against it.
But this is just about bored rich men trying to boost their egos by showing how superior they are to animals. I can somehow understand why some people turn into such hardcore activists. :( ..."


Most hunts started as a means of controlling fox populations but certainly not needed these days and live hunting is totally banned now and the vast majority of the hunts now just do drag for the thrill of riding/chasing but without an actual fox.

Trouble is, the rules are sketchy for what happens if the hunt "happens" to disturb a fox and that's how a lot get away with the live hunts.

The spectacle of a hunt riding out with dogs is fab but there doesn't need to be a live animal being chased and foxes can be controlled by guns and poisoning. My uncle used to be licensed to cull foxes by gunshot (and deer) but some people say it's even more cruel to shoot/poison an animal when they may take days to die.

Either way up, hunting for "sport" is utterly wrong!


message 9: by Shile (new)

Shile Simone wrote: "Shile wrote: "Oi.. Sorry about the hunting thing. I never understood how that is a sport. 🤔.. Amazing review babe as always.. Sorry it was not all there. 😞"

It's really awful and it's slaughtering..."


Sucks! when there is no connection between the MCs, this can break the story.
They should reconsider that sport though.


message 10: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Great honest review, babe! Sorry you didn't enjoy it more! 💜


Simone Jan wrote: "Loved your thoughts, Simone <3"

Thank you so much, my friend! <3


Simone Cadiva wrote: "Simone wrote: "Thanks, Cadiva! <3 Yeah, I totally agree with you. And if that would be the case, I could somewhat see their point. Not their methods - never their methods! - but I could see why the..."

In Germany there are 'fox hunts' too, like you said, without a real fox. I know some riding stables do this spectacle, but there's always a rider acting as fox with a cloth wrapped around his arm or something like that and the others have to fetch the cloth. I would consider that sport if the horses are treated well (that's another matter with these hunts) and no one has to die. :) The scene (view spoiler)


Simone Shile wrote: "Simone wrote: "Shile wrote: "Oi.. Sorry about the hunting thing. I never understood how that is a sport. 🤔.. Amazing review babe as always.. Sorry it was not all there. 😞"

It's really awful and it..."


Yeah, as if there wouldn't be hundreds of real sports activities to choose from... *sigh*
And the romance part was dragged out and I couldn't understand the guys sometimes. Especially Cash was totally overreacting IMO and I didn't see the reason why... :( Yeah well, Lucky and Dom made up for a lot here. LOL.


Simone Nazanin wrote: "Great honest review, babe! Sorry you didn't enjoy it more! 💜"

Thanks, lovely! <3


message 15: by Lyn (new) - added it

Lyn I get nervous when I see you score a GL book anything below a solid 4 stars. I know, I know, it could be you and I should give it a try...yeah, yeah, yeah...it still makes me nervous. lol.. After reading what you wrote about the relationship development..sounds like it's not my thing. Another awesome and informative review, hon! xoxo


Simone Lyn wrote: "I get nervous when I see you score a GL book anything below a solid 4 stars. I know, I know, it could be you and I should give it a try...yeah, yeah, yeah...it still makes me nervous. lol.. After r..."

Hahaha, thanks for not saying yaddayaddayadda. LOL. Sorry, so not my intention to make you nervous, but Cupcake and I were on the same page with Lucky which we both loved and here as well, so your decision might be wise. It could still just be me, you know? LOL. Thanks, sweetie! <3


Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I'll read yours after I've written mine. But I'm sure your words are fantastical. xx


Christelle It was not my fav, but for different reasons. Cash was well introduced in Lucky, but...The cameos of Lucky and Dom were more than welcome :-)
Great review, Simone.


message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Great review, Simone! The connection has to be there for me too. Sorry this was missing that spark. Glad you found some fun and love here though. :)


message 20: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Awesome review Simone!😉💖


Simone Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "I'll read yours after I've written mine. But I'm sure your words are fantastical. xx"

Totally get it, no worries, and I can't wait to read yours either. :)


Simone Christelle wrote: "It was not my fav, but for different reasons. Cash was well introduced in Lucky, but...The cameos of Lucky and Dom were more than welcome :-)
Great review, Simone."


Arghhhh, that reminds me... I still have to get back to yours. Sorry for my old lady brain! *facepalm* Thanks, Christelle! <3


Simone Laura wrote: "Great review, Simone! The connection has to be there for me too. Sorry this was missing that spark. Glad you found some fun and love here though. :)"

Yeah, it was hard for me to understand them sometimes - umm, their reactions not their words, although that was sometimes a challenge as well due to the Britishness *lol*, but the pace was off here. Maybe if it would have been balanced out a bit more... And the love declaration at the end definitely felt rushed. :( Thanks, Laura! <3


Simone Kat wrote: "Awesome review Simone!😉💖"

Thank you so much, Kat! xx


Snjez That's pretty much how I felt about this book. Great review!


Simone Snjez wrote: "That's pretty much how I felt about this book. Great review!"

I'm still sad, since I loved Lucky. :( Yeah well, I hope the next one will work better for both of us. :) Thank you, Snjez! xx


Ariana Fab review, and tbh I feel a bit more relieved now. I only ventured as far as 56%, but I might call it a day there. I can save myself the rest of it after your review! 😘


Simone Ariana wrote: "Fab review, and tbh I feel a bit more relieved now. I only ventured as far as 56%, but I might call it a day there. I can save myself the rest of it after your review! 😘"

Yeah, if you didn't like the first half you should stay away from the rest. ;-) And what really bugged me here was the editing - or rather the lack of... Thanks, Ariana! <3


Judith Great review,sweetheart.Even though i enjoyed it a bit more i totally get your points which you articulate so well,as always x


Simone Judith wrote: "Great review,sweetheart.Even though i enjoyed it a bit more i totally get your points which you articulate so well,as always x"

Thank you, my darling! <3 I wish I could have loved it more. :(


back to top