The CurvyJones's Reviews > Black Girls Must Die Exhausted: A Novel

Black Girls Must Die Exhausted by Jayne Allen

bookshelves: challenge-2018, readsoullit

Overall, a well written, engaging read. You know it's good when I talk out loud TO THE BOOK. I had a few character nits, but nothing really worth ranting about. You've heard the saying about having to work twice as hard to get just as far as our non black counterparts-- well, this is that saying, in print. Tabitha's life, from her job to her boyfriend to her family seems to be coming apart at the seams and the only thing holding it together is her grandmother, for whom she is named. They simply call her Too, because she is Tabitha, too.
I found Grandma Tab to be delightful and surprisingly woke... perhaps because her husband was black and her son is half black but she was progressive for an older white woman. I kept bracing for her to say something off, but of course that never happened. A common theme, and something I'm definitely going to take away from this book is 'if a man has no plan for you, that isn't your man'. Ain't that the truth, and a hard truth to learn and accept. For Tab, too... but I said I wasn't gonna rant.
This was a sometimes emotional, sometimes funny look into the life of a young urban professional, just trying to life her best life, despite life itself getting in the way of that. An enjoyable read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Girls Must Die Exhausted.

October 5, 2018 – Started Reading