Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog's Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

*****FIVE++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Publisher}

I can hardly remember the names of the girls who came before her, and after her, there was only Liz. But I can recall with unbelievable clarity almost everything that happened during the time I spent with Annika.
Probably because no one has ever loved me as fiercely and unconditionally as she did.

”Did you ever fall in love with a girl who was different? Not just from any girl you’d ever dated before, but from most people in general?”

This story was INCREDIBLE!! It’s definitely a page-turner! I mean, I could hardly put the book down. I fell so in love with the characters and their story and hoped with all of my heart that they would finally get that happily ever after they so rightfully deserved. This is a story about beautiful first loves, heartbreak, and second chances. The ending had my heart pounding out of my chest and it felt like I was balancing on the edge of utter devastation or pure joy!

The story starts off in the present which is 2001. Annika and Jonathan run into each other at a local grocery store in Chicago. It has been ten years since they last saw each other. You can feel that although their relationship ended, that there are many unresolved feelings between them, and then we are brought back to the past when they met during their senior year of college. Right from the start, we can tell that Annika faces challenges that most people never have to deal with. Everyday social queues that we take for granted, are quite difficult for Annika to decipher. Her roommate is her one and only close friend who often has to help her understand certain peoples’ motives. Janice was an angel and such an amazing friend to Annika. I loved the dynamic between them.

When Annika meets Jonathan at chess club, she’s a little closed off at first since he messes with her routine, but something about him eventually makes her feel at ease, and she does feel an intense attraction towards him. Jonathan is captivated by Annika’s beauty and her honesty. I think he definitely picked up on the challenges she faced but he also admired her for her determination to make things work with him. Jonathan never treated her as if she weren’t a normal girl nor was he ever embarrassed by her behavior.

His love for Annika helped to push her to do many things out of her comfort zone and in turn she gave him the love that he so deeply needed. But then life throws tragedy their way which ultimately results in their relationship’s demise.

Ten years have passed and it looks like there might be a second chance for Jonathan and Annika. Will they be able to put old heartbreaks to rest and start on a new journey together?

Make sure you have something strong to get you through the ending of this story. It wasn’t anything I expected and although it tangled me up inside, I also couldn’t help but feel so much admiration for Annika’s strength and determination!

Here are my overall ratings:

Hero: 5+++++
Heroine: 5++++
Plot: 5+++++
Angst: 5+++
Steam: 4
Chemistry Between Hero & Heroine: 5+++++

”THE GIRL HE USED TO KNOW” releases on April 2nd! This is a story that you will fall crazy in love with!

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2TScYDU

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

October 4, 2018 – Shelved
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: pure-perfection
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: second-chance-love
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: top-fantasy-boyfriends
March 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Reading this right now! Enjoy, hon!

message 2: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Happy reading babe.

message 3: by Carla Bulian (new)

Carla Bulian Enjoy my dear!!! XOXO

message 4: by Antonella (new)

Antonella Happy reading!!! xx

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Enjoy, lovely xx

❤️ Paulette "Happy Reading & I 🙏🙏 you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙"

Linda Great review, Patty! I loved this one, too! :)

message 8: by NinaReader (new) - added it

NinaReader Great review Patty!

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Lovely review, babe! xx

message 10: by Judith (new)

Judith Terrific review darling 💙