Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Ally Condie

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is one of those books that sneaks up on you. Its strong in a silent sort of way, stringing you along page after page until you realize, near the end, that the story is more powerful than you could have ever imagined it to be. It's a desperate story of survival and touching in its own sort of feral and savage way. It shows us that living is more than just waking the following day and going about our routines.

The story focuses primarily on Poe Blythe, her story of revenge and seeking her own form of survival - through some of the most barbaric means. From the very first chapter, this book will pull at your heart strings. I felt such a fierce pull toward this story from just that first chapter, which does a superb job of setting the stage for the rest of the book.

In addition to Poe's story, Condie has created a fascinating dystopian world that I would absolutely read more of. I loved every aspect we were given, from Poe's settlement, to the river mining to how those outside the settlement live. It is clear that Condie put her heart into every aspect of creating this story.

Additionally, there is a huge mystery subplot - as Poe tries to discover who on her team can be trusted and who is seeking every opportunity to betray her trust. I did NOT see those plot twists coming and by the end I couldn't help but to think, "I wish this wasn't a standalone!" Seriously, I would read the next chapter in this story immediately.

Overall, this book is so incredibly underrated and deserves all of the praise, word-of-mouth and readership. I loved every underlying theme, particularly how one can find a path, a place they belong, even after everything has been ripped away from them. The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is a must read new release, with fantastic crossover appeal and will absolutely be one of my favorite reads of the 2019.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe.

October 4, 2018 – Shelved
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2019 – Started Reading
March 31, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "This book is going to make me an emotional mess. 💁🏻‍♀️"
March 31, 2019 –
page 172
52.44% "Holy plot twist! 😬"
March 31, 2019 – Finished Reading