Lisa's Reviews > The Scottish Prisoner

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

Jan 02, 2012

With this book I return to my original feeling about the Gabaldon/Outlander series (and with it the Lord John books), where I wish they were all finished, and I could read them in bulk. It's difficult to get enmeshed in the story only to wait actual years for the next one. I'm a very, very big fan of the DG/Outlander series in general - I read them first in my mid-twenties as a new bride (romance!) and then again later I listened to them as a new mother (babies! extreme risks to save them!). The Scottish Prisoner was entirely gratifying in its Jamie-ness (worth it spoiler alert): IT'S ALL JAMIE, ALL THE TIME. However, it did feel like Outlander Lite - no real turmoil, no tragedy, no romance. Which is not to say that's not bad - it's filler, while we wait for the real thing, and the filler is pretty good stuff.

By the way, if you like the Jamie/Claire bits and are unsure about the Lord John books, do read this. It's about Jamie, is half from his point of view, and tells the story of his time at Hellwater and how he forms his post-prison, pre-bosom buddies relationship with Lord John.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scottish Prisoner.