Julie Decker's Reviews > Steven Universe: Harmony #3

Steven Universe by S.M. Vidaurri

Issue 3 of the five-issue HARMONY miniseries is out. In the previous issue, the Harmony Core had revealed itself to be a mysterious and dangerous Gem artifact; it puts humans into comas and absorbs the physical forms of any Gems who touch it. The Core has claimed Steven's father and Connie as well as Amethyst and many of Steven's friends, and now he's so worried he's having trouble figuring out how to be helpful. But he's able to gain some perspective by listening to Garnet--and meanwhile, Pearl and Peridot are on the case researching the location of other Harmony Cores which are working in, well, harmony. Pearl thinks destroying the cores will lead to release, but after some musical experimentation and some realizations, she has another idea. . . .

I like what the story is doing, especially when it shows characters interacting in ways we haven't seen in the show (e.g., Sadie and Pearl). I'm not completely sold on how it's being told, though--there's some roughness somewhere that makes the moving pieces grind a little when they slide together. I keep feeling like some of the plot elements aren't coming from the story's revealed actions or happenings so much as they're related to us through bullet points of stuff happening in order. And it's hard to explain, because after you read it, you can certainly say what happened in what order. I just see a lot of things happening for reasons I wouldn't have followed without sort of rationalizing it. And though I like an opportunity to explore non-canon expansions of the universe (wow at all these new temples!), there are some liberties being taken that could end up contrasting with future reveals. I'm really looking forward to a musical payoff when the last two books come out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steven Universe.

October 3, 2018 – Started Reading