Ben Truong's Reviews > Raven Calls

Raven Calls by C.E. Murphy

M 50x66

bookshelves: mystery, mythology, paranormal, urban-fantasy

Raven Calls is the seventh book in the Walker Papers series written by C.E. Murphy and centred on Joanne Walker (born Siobhán Walkingstick) is a half-Cherokee/half-Irish, was a Seattle Police Officer and mechanic who so happen to be a shaman.

Joanne Walker has just quit her job as a police officer and haven been bitten from a werewolf (Spirit Dances). After receiving a vision, she believes that she could find a cure back in Ireland. Therefore, she boards a plane in hopes her visions were correct. Joanne Walker was surprised to meet Gary Muldoon when she arrived in Dublin. Apparently, Michael Morrison was worried about her and suggested to Gary Muldoon to fly to Ireland to help her out. They head for the place Joanne Walker has seen in her vision, Hill of Tara, when suddenly the madness of this installment begins.

The narrative then seesaws its way back and forth in time as Joanne Walker meets, converses with, and at times battles a series of supernatural beings with her ever-growing shamanistic powers. It is a plot that is totally driven by immense quantities of Irish mythology and uncontrollable time travel. Due to the time travel situation, Joanne Walker fights some of the mythological foes more than once – from different points in the past and the present. Furthermore, Joanne Walker had to find a way to save her mother’s soul, who has become a banshee, as well as a cure for her lycanthrope.

Raven Calls is written somewhat well. Murphy has mixed the Indigenous and Irish beliefs rather well with the element of time travel. The action is fast-paced and flows rather well despite the extremely convoluted plot. It was more than convoluted, as the plot was a tad cryptic, confusing, and far too chaotic for my taste. However, time travelling stories tend to do that to me more often than not. However, I felt like I had to suspend my disbelief a tad too much – something I have not done to this degree since the first book – Urban Shaman.

Throughout the book, I felt that the personality of Joanne Walker had regressed quite a bit. She behaved like an obnoxious adolescent or similar to how she acted in earlier installments of the series – as if the growth between Urban Shaman and Spirit Dances have been forgotten or disregarded. However, I do like the face-to-face interaction with her younger self and I hope that this encounter put the obnoxious adolescent attitude where it belonged – in the past.

All in all, Raven Calls is written somewhat well and a somewhat good continuation for the series, which I plan to read in the very near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raven Calls.

October 3, 2018 – Shelved