Lucy Furr's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, autobiography-memoir, humor
Read from January 02 to 05, 2012

I've gathered from reading many reviews of this book that the general consensus is that while When You Are Engulfed in Flames is a good book, Sedaris has done better. To that, I can only think of one thing to say: if this is "mediocre" compared to his other works, then I can't wait to read them! Personally, I think this is an excellent collection of essays, they are funny, witty, smart and endearing and I'm glad I finally got around to reading something written by Sedaris.

"Keeping Up", "In the Waiting Room", "April in Paris", and as gross as it was, "Old Faithful" are among my favorites in this collection, but the one that really struck a chord with me was "The Smoking Section", being a sort of former cigarette smoker (I've switched to an electronic cigarette, but the switch has been difficult).

I can't wait to read more essays from Sedaris, he's a smooth writer who knows how to draw you into his world. The essays herein cover a wider range than I understand a lot of his other works cover, and I think that makes for an excellent collection. Variety is the spice of life after all, and this collection certainly added a bit of kick to mine while I was reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

01/04/2012