Sabrina's Reviews > The Night Watch

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

bookshelves: historical-fiction, glbt

Reading a Sarah Waters novel is like eating a pomegranate. Sweet exotic fruit. However, you have to be patient in order to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.

January 2, 2012 – Shelved
January 2, 2012 –
January 3, 2012 –
January 7, 2012 –
January 8, 2012 –
January 10, 2012 –
January 10, 2012 –
January 11, 2012 –
86.0% "“It’s that when I’m with Kay I’m wretched, because she isn’t you; and she sees that I’m wretched, and doesn’t know why and she comforts me! She comforts me, and I let her! I let her console me for wanting you!” -Helen talking to Julia about Kay."
Started Reading
January 12, 2012 – Shelved as: glbt
January 12, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sabrina So...Kay at one time wanted to date Julia. But Julia wasn't interested. So Kay met and fell in love with Helen. Kay adores Helen! She does everything to make Helen happy. She even went so far as to purchase luxury items (silk pjs, jam, coffee and an orange) on the black market (World War II) for Helen. But Helen is not all together comfortable with her relationship with Kay either in public or behind closed doors. They like every couple have issues. Issues that Kay is more than willing to work through. So what does Helen do? She starts meeting Julia (they met by accident….or did they) in public places for coffee, late night walks and exploring abandoned buildings. Way to go Helen! And then guess what? Julia and Helen eventually fall and love and start a relationship. Now guess who is unhappy? Everybody!

Linda Beaudoin So agreed that you have to be patient when reading her books because of her intense character development, but by the time you get to the good part, you really care about what happens to the characters.