Tara (Fiction Folio)'s Reviews > The Knife and the Butterfly

The Knife and the Butterfly by Ashley Hope Pérez

Jan 02, 2012

Read from January 30 to February 06, 2012

The Knife and the Butterfly is definitely a different book than what I normally read. I’ll be totally honest – my favorite genres are what I read 99% of the time, and I don’t exactly branch out into the different or less popular very often. When the opportunity arose to read The Knife and the Butterfly, I jumped on the chance to, you know, broaden my horizons and read something completely different for me.

Well, my leap of faith outside of Tara world paid off. I had to think on it for a full day but finally came to the conclusion that I enjoyed the book. At first I wasn’t so sure, but then the more I thought about it (don’t you love it when a book makes you think), the more I realized that I was quite happy with the story. And here’s why.

This book centers around life inside a gang – violence, drugs, abuse, degrading women – and that is just not something I’m used to reading about in young adult literature. But, it’s still a real and sadly true world that exists, even though I have never personally experienced it myself. Make no mistake, The Knife and the Butterfly is gritty, hard, and definitely geared towards an older YA audience. But with all of that, I think it’s a book that needed to be written and definitely has its place within the young adult genre. I can see this book helping individuals who are either on a path towards gang life or for those who want to get out.

I give mad props to Ashley for writing this novel and can’t wait to read her other novel, What Can’t Wait, which was recently added to the ALA's 2012 Best Fiction for Young Adults list.

Original post on Fiction Folio

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife and the Butterfly.