Lindsay's Reviews > Rules We're Meant to Break

Rules We're Meant to Break by Natalie Williamson

it was ok
bookshelves: arcs

Rules We're Meant to Break had potential but lots of things annoyed me which dropped my satisfaction in the story. Amber was unhealthily obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and KU (which at first I thought stood for Kentucky University and then realized it was Kansas).

When Amber is 14 she sees a German Shepherd puppy left at a pet store's doorstep so she brings it home without her mother's knowledge or approval (which is very disrespectful and inconsiderate since she's a child) and dubs the dog Buffy. Buffy even wears a KU collar. Why KU? I honestly have no clue. Despite the fact that Amber says it's very far away from her love stricken mom and chaotic home life. Far away as in an hour and a half, I think, which isn't far at all. If she hated home so much and her mom's revolving door of boyfriends then you would think she would choose a university several states away.

Amber is self-absorbed and bratty whenever she and her mom discuss her college plans. Amber wants to go to KU and live off campus with her sidekick Buffy. Apartments aren't cheap and despite her mom saying multiple times that they aren't in a financially strong place to pitch in for the expensive tuition and an apartment, Amber pouts and whines how life isn't fair. She needs to be slapped. Multiple times. Her mom is contributing money for her college education, something that isn't guaranteed to any child born into this world. Instead of being grateful and understanding that her mom isn't a millionaire, she grows angry at the thought of living on campus. I agree that campus life sucks. I wanted an off campus apartment but like Amber, my parents nor I could afford the cost so I remained on campus for three hellish years counting down the days until graduation. But sometimes you have to suck it up and do things you don't want because you aren't wealthy.

Next we have Hannah, Amber's best friend, who is boy crazy, pushy, and conceited. Amber is also pushy and only thinks of herself so I guess that's what makes them friends. Hannah contributed absolutely nothing to the plot, just like their other friend Ryan who only fed Amber dessert at school and repeated everything Amber said whenever she complained to him.

Love at first sight occurs between Amber and Jordan, and he's also the hottest guy in school and the star basketball player that has universities fighting over him. Jordan also didn't contribute anything besides awkward tutoring sessions and basketball games.

Thanks for the ARC NetGalley.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules We're Meant to Break.

October 2, 2018 – Shelved