megs_bookrack's Reviews > Alien: Echo

liked it

Fun, quick and gory.

Okay. I like it.
I'm pleased I read it.

Definitely a solid creature feature. If you are looking for a book with monsters this month, this would definitely fulfill that desire.

ALIEN monsters!

This story follows twins, Olivia and Violet, who have recently moved to a new colony on a distant planet. Their parents are xenobiologists and they travel frequently, getting called to far off places to research new found alien life.

Violet is suffering from a debilitating illness that keeps her secluded in their home and sends Olivia out to navigate the new landscape on her own.

Attending school without her twin, Olivia is just trying to fit in and make the best of things. She has her first crush on a girl in her class so is pretty much dealing with things any teen would deal with.

Well, maybe a little more than that. She has always wanted to be more involved in her parent's work and feels disappointed that they seem to still be treating her like a child. When her parents receive a call to explore an abandoned ship, they again tell her she is not to participate.

Luckily for her, she doesn't. Things don't end so well for a lot of others however.

An apex predator is introduced to this colony world via the abandoned ship. Even if you aren't a xenobiologist, you probably understand that is not a good thing. Before they know it, the girls are literally fighting for their lives trying to escape the planet.

This little book has a lot of action and a ton of graphic gore and violence. Let that fact determine whether or not this book is for you. I personally enjoyed that aspect of it.

I wasn't as crazy about the length. It was really short. I think the entirety of the book takes place in a day or two therefore I never felt fully immersed. Also, it definitely gets a bit romance heavy toward the end and in a way that was a little jarring, it didn't quite fit with the rest of the story.

Grant's writing is excellent though, there is no denying that. Overall, there was nothing outstanding about this but it was a quick, fun read. I think this would be an ideal book to pick up for a readathon because of its length and it could potentially fit a lot of varying prompts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alien.

October 2, 2018 – Shelved
October 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 23, 2019 – Started Reading
September 23, 2019 –
September 24, 2019 –
25.0% "I'm having fun with this!
Granted, it has been a while since I have watched any of the Alien movies in a while, but I have yet to figure out the connection.
I think this family is about to go explore a dead ship however, so maybe that's where the connection will come in.

"
September 25, 2019 –
50.0% "Bodies dropping like flies in this one!!!"
September 26, 2019 –
72.0% "Anyone looking for a book with monsters in it for October should definitely take this book into consideration. Alien monsters. Scary, powerful, apex predator monsters are within these pages!!!

"
September 26, 2019 –
September 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker I'm so excited. Too bad they're not doing ARCs

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "I'm so excited. Too bad they're not doing ARCs" I know! I hope it is good...scared a little...

message 3: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Quick OOOH interested in the reason for the rounded down!

message 4: by megs_bookrack (last edited Sep 27, 2019 04:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "OOOH interested in the reason for the rounded down!"
I just didn't feel that it was closer to 'really good' than 'good'. The end got a bit more romance heavy at a time when lethal predators were mere feet from capturing our protagonists...and while I really enjoyed the writing and story was quick and fun...it wasn't really memorable. It was solid. I had fun with it but if you asked me in 3-months what it was about, I most likely will remember nothing.

message 5: by Kristal (new)

Kristal Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire, correct? I have never read her sci-fi/horror books, does the writing feel similar to Middlegame/wayward children?

megs_bookrack Kristal wrote: "Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire, correct? I have never read her sci-fi/horror books, does the writing feel similar to Middlegame/wayward children?" Yes, Kristal, you are correct! The writing is very similar. She is just a freaking fantastic writer. I have been meaning to get to Into the Drowning Deep forever as I have heard that one is pretty stellar.