Danny's Reviews > Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

Just My Type by Simon Garfield

6071912
Jan 02, 2012

I made the curious decision to listen to this book about fonts instead of reading it, but though the hardcopy has lots of images of the things they're talking about (I looked at it before I decided to check out the CD book) I've been living with word processing programs long enough to have a pretty good idea about what most of the fonts they're talking about look like.

The first chapter is an examination of everyone's favorite font to hate, Comic Sans, but it's not just a hatchet job. You actually hear why it was created, and get some insight from the creator himself.

There's also a lot of font history, from back in the days where it was all done by metal punch, to the modern digital designs.

Did you know that there's bad blood between Arial and Helvetica?

Did you know that font geeks have trouble watching historical movies because the production crew always gets the fonts wrong? (How can that newspaper in 1944 be using a font created in 1972?!?!)

It's a fun book on what used to be an obscure topic, though less so I think since we've all got access to a selection of fonts on every computer we touch.

Still, it's fun to know how much thought goes into it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just My Type.