Melanie's Reviews > A Lord for the Lass

A Lord for the Lass by Amalie Howard

bookshelves: historical-romance, netgalley, own-print, signed

A Lord for the Lass was a phenomenal read about the love story between a woman on the run accused of murdering her husband and the outsider who gives her hope for the future.

Lady Makenna Maclaren Brodie is on the run after being accused of murdering her husband, the laird. While Makenna imagined killing her abusive husband many times, she’s innocent of the crime but is forced to flee with her maid. Makenna goes to the first safe place she can think of only to find Lord Julien Leclerc in residence. Having met the French lord a year ago, she knows he’ll assist her so long as she doesn’t pose a threat to the empire he’s building. But as the two grow closer, Makenna finds herself in danger of losing her heart in addition to her life.

Makenna endured an abusive marriage for nearly a decade before her husband’s death gave her the chance of freedom. Makenna was treated horribly by her husband as well as those in the Brodie clan, but Scottish law left little room for her to free herself from the situation. Despite her circumstances, Makenna never allowed herself to give up which I greatly admired.

Julien’s mother was the daughter of a marquess who disowned her when she married for love over title. In the early years after his father died, Julien and his mother fell into poverty prior to her second marriage to a wealthy man. Due to the conditions of his early life, Julien believes that love only causes heartache and won’t save you from ruin.

Makenna and Julien have a wonderful relationship and I enjoyed the times where the two got to be alone. Julien is incredibly supportive of Makenna and understood that she would be wary to trust anyone after the way her husband treated her. Initially while Makenna acknowledged her attraction to Julien, she didn’t want to put him in danger and so she tried to keep her distance. I loved that Julien slowly worked to gain her trust and they became great friends in the process. Once their relationship does move forward, it’s fantastic and the sex scenes are amazingly done with a lot of focus on consent.

The conflict with the Brodie clan and the new laird’s obsession with Makenna was very well done. I definitely enjoyed the way everything played out and loved how justice was served. We do see the return of characters from the previous book in this series as well as some characters from the authors’ other series, the Lords of Essex. I loved getting to see the previous characters again and I can’t wait for some of the other characters to get their own romances in future books.

A Lord for the Lass was a great read and I can’t wait to see the rest of the Maclarens find love in future books. I highly recommend this series as well as the connected Lords of Essex series for anyone looking for good historical romances.

**I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lord for the Lass.

October 1, 2018 – Shelved