Annika's Reviews > Love and Lint Rollers

Love and Lint Rollers by Kaje Harper

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, disability, medical, mm, read-2018, romance

3,5 stars

It all started with Pride, and a kitten stuck in a tin can.. Cat lover Thom and veterinarian Dean join forces to rescue the little critter. It seemed like a match made in heaven, but their relationship isn't as easy as one might think.

There was one thing that I really loved with this book, and that was that one of the main characters, Thom, was suffering from a chronic illness, Crohn's disease. You don't come across that in books. Sure you get the cancers, the HIV, and the mental illnesses - but stuff like Crohns? Never. Or at least that has been my experience. So finding this book made me happy.

Suffering from a chronic illness myself (daily and never-ending migraines) I could relate so much to Thom and his struggles. The constant planning, the thinking "if I do this, I can't do that" or the "I wish I could do that. Always needing strategies for each and every thing that you do, for every trip - even something as basic as going to the store to buy some food. So while I don't have Crohns, I can relate too many of Thom's struggles and I think that the way Ms. Harper handled it all was very well done. I can only thank her for including a character with this kind of major "flaw", because I for one is fed up with reading about picture perfect characters. Give me a real story any day of the week.

That being said, I truly wanted to love this story. It had all the ingredients for a cute story but with a lot of depth. To me, that's not really what we got. My wish was that the main focus would be on the relationship between Thom and Dean. Sadly that ended up in the backseat and all things cat and Crohns kind of took over. Now I know I just said that I loved the fact that Thom had Crohns, and that's still true. But it took over a bit too much of the story. I'm the first one to admit how much an illness like that can rule your life - and the lives of your loved ones. But I still feel that Dean was forgotten, he never really got much on page time or the chance to shine. His Dreams and wishes were kind of swept under the rug as if he didn't matter as much, it made the book feel a little off balance.

Then there was the cats. The many, many cats, the care of the cats and the cat stories. Thom might have been the male version of a cat lady, basically living for his cats (pre Dean), but at time it felt like they had more space in this story than Dean had. I'm a huge animal lover and love as many fluffy cuddles I can get, but I still think that the main character should feel more important than the cats...

This might not have been the hit I anticipated, but I'm still glad I read it. I'm even more grateful to Harper for writing it - we definitely need more stories like this, especially in a world where the perfect outside seems to matter more than what is on the inside.

A copy of this book was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Lint Rollers.

October 1, 2018 – Shelved