Matthew's Reviews > Middlemarch

Middlemarch by George Eliot

bookshelves: 2018, completist-book-club, classic, historical-fiction
Recommended to Matthew by: Tiffany

This was a big one! At times a slog, but not too bad in the end. I am very thankful for online summaries (Shmoop and Wikipedia) as they helped me gather and clarify my thoughts every few chapters or so.

While this book is large, I am guessing the fact that it is broken up into several smaller "books" means that at the time it was released it was delivered to the public in easier to swallow chunks. I did not look this up to confirm, but it would make sense. Instead of being 1000 pages total, it would have been eight or nine 100 to 140 page episodes.

Speaking of episodes, I think this book would make a good BBC mini-series and I think perhaps it already has. As a lot of the subject matter deals with medical care politics, I was reminded of the hospital storylines in Downton Abbey. And, while reading was a bit of a chore, I don't think a mini-series would be.

Storywise, despite the book being long, the story itself is not very Epic. There are a few key plots focusing on about 4 or 5 characters, but when you reflect on it in the end, not a whole lot actually happens. In fact, the Wikipedia summary is only a few paragraphs. With that in mind, this is a good book for people who love the writing style of the time period because you get more of that than actual plot.

If you like the classics and don't mind a formidable tome, Middlemarch is right up your alley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlemarch.

October 1, 2018 – Started Reading
October 1, 2018 – Shelved
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: completist-book-club
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: classic
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
October 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) a friend I met through blogging once told me that this is the one book I should read if I want an 'English Classic'. So far it is still sitting on my shelf but one day will get to it. Good review.

Matthew Laura (Kyahgirl) wrote: "a friend I met through blogging once told me that this is the one book I should read if I want an 'English Classic'. So far it is still sitting on my shelf but one day will get to it. Good review."

Thanks! Yes, this is about as 'English Classic' as it gets! 😁

Brooklyn I think there is a recent British miniseries. For me the story really picked up by the last third. And yes this is a very very long book - but one I’m glad I read.

Matthew Brooklyn wrote: "I think there is a recent British miniseries. For me the story really picked up by the last third. And yes this is a very very long book - but one I’m glad I read."

I had seen your mention of it picking up in the last 300 pages so I was waiting for it. And, I definitely agree that things got more interesting, but also a little bit repetitive. At one point I thought they were discussing something new, but they were just (view spoiler)