James's Reviews > Due East, Beasts & Campfire Feasts

Due East, Beasts & Campfire Feasts by Erin Johnson

When you find a book series you love, it's hard not to jump on the opportunity to read the latest release. Author Erin Johnson is a fantastic marketer and has kept me interested with each new launch. Her latest in the Spells & Caramels 'A Cozy Witch Mystery' series, is called Due East, Beasts & Campfire Feasts (in keeping with the 3 names in the title). If you're new to the series, Imogen Banks was a normal everyday American chef until something weird happened and she was transported to a world of magic where she became a royal baker... now she's solving crimes, battling evil witches and beasts, and trying to figure out just exactly what kind of magic she's capable of!

Johnson's imagination is amazing. I'm not a fantasy reader, but I do like stories about magic and witches, so this series ultimately matches well to my reading style and favorite genres. In this new installment, Imogen finally transports through the magic mirror into the Badlands after a particularly horrific fight with the former king who almost killed her boyfriend. She unfortunately finds herself (and all their friends) in a place where another cruel group of people might just want to kill her, too. In time, she proves she's not one of the evil beasts or royal family who helped unleash them... but wow... it takes a long time to convince them (rightfully so).

I really enjoyed this book. Some of the scenes were elaborate and quite powerful. The recurring characters were fantastic, but I wanted to see more of them. We met a whole new group of island people which were interesting, but they took over much of the book and left me missing some of my faves from prior ones. I'm sure they'll be back tho, I'm not worried. In this one, after an epic battle, everything calms down, but I can already tell by Johnson's creativity and brilliance, she's gearing up for something huge in the next book. I can't wait to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Due East, Beasts & Campfire Feasts.

October 1, 2018 – Shelved
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 7-arc-giveaway-won
October 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 8-authors-i-know
October 7, 2018 – Started Reading
October 7, 2018 –
34.0% "Another fun adventure. I’m curious where it will end up."
October 7, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-10-october
October 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I just added the first book in this series. Great review James and thanks for introducing me to this series. It looks like a lot of fun!!

James You’re welcome, Ginger. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

message 3: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Great review, James!

James Sumit wrote: "Great review, James!"
Thx!