Cody | CodysBookshelf's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked by Christa Carmen

liked it

Thanks to the publisher for sending a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked is the debut release from small-press horror author Christa Carmen. Carmen, though a relative newbie to the world of horror, has some chops. She doesn’t fall prey to traps many other small-press horror writers do, and for that I am relieved.

I must admit, though, that this collection didn’t scare me much. “Red Room” is the closest I got to feelings chills, and “Liquid Handcuffs” was thrilling . . . just not scary. The obvious “horror” works here, while written well, did not pack the appropriate punch.

Many of these stories deal with addictions, which is fine . . . But it did make the collection have a “samey” feel, and some of the stories have run together in my memory. Bummer!

Overall, I did enjoy bits of this collection and would check out a full-length release from this author, sure. She obviously has talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked.

September 30, 2018 – Shelved