Rachael's Reviews > Columbine

Columbine by Dave Cullen

This was the best book I've consumed in a long, long time. I've been telling everyone about it. Basically I say, "Everything you thought you knew about Columbine was wrong." This book was especially good at shedding light on the media myths that sprouted on the first day. It shows that once erroneous information is put out there, it's so difficult to correct it. The genie has already been let out of the bottle.

I saw the killers in a new light. Clearly there was one psychopathic mastermind and the other followed along. I didn't realize how psychopathic he was and how the warning signs had been there for at least two years.

I liked the focus on particular people affected that day -- the Ireland family and the Bernall family get a lot of attention in particular. But it did make me wonder about the other victims -- there were some who were not mentioned at all. I had to go online and remind myself who the 13 killed were and I wondered why some of them never even got a mention. From the law enforcement side, we get a close look at FBI agent Dwayne Fuselier.

I like how the book was structured. Cullen spends considerable time on that fateful day in the beginning. From there we get two paths: we move forward in time regarding the victims and the aftermath, but that forward movement is intertwined with backstory of the killers.

I listened to the audio version. It was 14 hours long and I was entranced by every moment. My attention never wavered, which happens frequently when I listen to novels. In fact, I had kind of given up on audiobooks because of my lack of attention. I guess I just hadn't found the right book. It was hard for me to leave the story every time I got out of the car.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.

September 28, 2018 – Started Reading