Maggie's Reviews > Soul Provider: Spiritual Steps to Limitless Love

Soul Provider by Edward L. Beck

Jun 25, 2008

bookshelves: religious-inspirational-books
Read in August, 2009

a second reading. those folks who think that only "modern" thought has any value would do well to read ancient writers because the fact is certain ideas indeed are eternal.

Fr. Edward Beck does us "moderns" a service by bringing forward this classic, updating it just enough for us to see our all-too-modern souls reflected within this ancient, stable, and valuable compilation. through his review of The Ladder of Divine Ascent by John Climacus, a 7th century monk, Beck reminds us of the many ways we can separate ourselves from others and from our best selves.

however it is NOT a book for dilettantes because for those who dabble in spirituality the content of this book won't make sense and may even seem tedious; on the other hand, for those who seriously seek spiritual guidance, the book holds a treasure of deep and abiding suggestions for the (active) spiritual life.

the last five chapters (on discernment, on stillness, on prayer, on dispassion, and on love) were the most helpful yet would mean very little without the preparation offered by the previous twenty-five chapters. the book is best when taken as a whole, imo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Provider.