Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell's Reviews > Vein Of Love

Vein Of Love by R. Scarlett

2190064

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🦇 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2018 Reading Challenge for the category of: A romance with a demon 🦇

This is going to be one of those reviews where I share an unpopular opinion that is probably going to make people mad at me, but here we go. Spoiler: I didn't like the book. Isn't that crazy? You'd think I would, because it was supposed to be so dark and so sexy, and dark and sexy are, like, my bread and butter. Plus, it's based on an arranged marriage between two people who hate each other, which is basically my most favorite thing. So really, the fact that the author managed to take three of my favorite things and make me hate the book is, well... almost a talent. No, seriously. That's like making me hate bubble tea or avocados or romance novels. Good for you. Gold star.

Here's the thing, this is a book written for people who like fanfiction-style writing. The heroine, Molly, is a Mary Sue of the highest caliber. She has super special eyes, is a half-demon, and the most important thing about her is that she's a gold star virgin who has managed to capture the eye of the demon prince, Tensley (which kind of sounds like the name of one of those electronica/indie artists the teens are listening to. Halsey and Tensley, coming to an Outside Lands festival near you). The writing reminded me, actually, of this other really bad demon fic I read back in the early 2000s when Quizilla was the Wattpad of the day (I'm old, yo). Did I read it? Hell yes. But even fourteen year old me acknowledged that it was trash.

As for Tensley, the most important thing about him is that he's an incubus who is oozing sex appeal from every orifice. The ladies, they can't stay away. He has a side OW, so you can get a sneak preview of how hot he is without sullying the purity of the heroine. Plus, it serves as a juxtaposition to how mean slutty ladies have sex versus gold star virgins (answer: demurely but hornily). He's also a self-absorbed jerk, but in the fanfiction world, that means "confidence" (but only if you're male; if you're female, it means you're a mean slutty lady, AKA an "OW"). I rolled my eyes at his dirty talk, and of course the heroine is great at sex and the hero is blown away by the magic sanctity of her vag.

I skimmed pretty heavily, so I honestly don't really have the faintest idea what this book is about beyond the whole prophesized to become a demon wife thing, and the fact that there was an oral sex scene at 69% of the Kindle edition (if that was intentional, that actually makes me like you a little more, R. Scarlett - it shows you have a sense of humor, which I always appreciate). I don't think there was much more beyond that, TBH, apart from the many references to designer shoes and the fact that demons are born with half a heart and will be destroyed if they grow a whole one by falling in love, which I think is supposed to add a whole new level of angst to the story, but actually made me think of another forbidden love story between demons that I like much better, i.e. Little Nicky.

I guess this was a "thing" on Wattpad, and I honestly can't see why. I'm not saying that to be mean. I've read a lot of fated-to-be-mated books, and this one ticks all the usual boxes. It's unfortunate, because I was actually really hoping to like this one. Oh, well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 star

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vein Of Love.

September 30, 2018 – Shelved
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-stash
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: halloween-2018-reading-challenge
October 14, 2018 – Started Reading
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: pnr-uf
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: new-adult
October 14, 2018 –
11.0% "This reminds me of the trash I used to read on Quizilla when I was 14"
17.0% "I guess it isn't a romance if someone doesn't get their heart torn out

...literally

"
October 14, 2018 –
24.0% "If Tensley had a Tinder account, he'd match up with pepper spray"
October 14, 2018 –
27.0% "How could he be a demon? He was so kind.

That's racist"
October 14, 2018 –
30.0% "Magical eyes? This book is ticking all the paranormal romance tropes"
October 14, 2018 –
33.0% "These characters are so rich that I'd be surprised if they didn't have giant rhinestone-studded 24K gold plaques in front of their houses that just said "1%""
October 14, 2018 –
36.0% "He's mopping up her boob sweat for her. How romantic."
October 14, 2018 –
47.0% "I'm kind of surprised that this is 18+ because apart from all the swearing, this is about as tame as a show on the CW"
October 14, 2018 –
48.0% "If he pees on her to mark his territory, I'm out of here"
October 14, 2018 –
49.0% "He's legit gaslighting her right now about her captivity. Basically, "I know you're miserable that I took you away from your life but think about how much taking care of you disrupts MY life!"

Hahaha, you can fuck right off, Tensley."
October 14, 2018 –
57.0% "So gross that the hero has an OW that he's seriously considering banging"
October 14, 2018 –
61.0% "Carnivorous, flesh-eating scarabs? How very The Mummy"
October 14, 2018 –
69.0% "Even though this book is shit, I would just like to take a moment of appreciation that there is an oral sex scene at the 69% mark of this ebook"
October 14, 2018 –
79.0% ""I'm too cool to kiss on the mouth because that's too intimate and I'm afraid of intimacy""
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: harder-to-get-thru-than-labyrinth
October 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Maraya21 (new) - added it

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) Dem notes! 😂 Have I told you I love you this week?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This review has almost got me in trouble. I began reading it and burst out laughing. My boss has just given me the WTF stare right now.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey I'm not usually on here enough to catch your updates as they happen, but there's something very satisfying about reading them with your review.
It's like the evolution of a shitshow right before my very eyes.

As usual, very entertaining review. I give it 5+ stars. There is a bonus star for noticing that there was oral at 69%. I never pay attention to where I'm at in a book unless I'm trying to decide if I can finish it or if I actually get to sleep before starting my day all over again.

message 4: by Madam Abel (new)

Madam Abel “He’s also a self-absorbed jerk, but in the fanfiction world, that means ‘confidence’.”

W-Why do people still make this a thing?

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Maraya21 wrote: "Dem notes! 😂 Have I told you I love you this week?"

Posting status updates is one of the best parts of the reading experience lol

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Andrea wrote: "This review has almost got me in trouble. I began reading it and burst out laughing. My boss has just given me the WTF stare right now."

Haha what a compliment! Thanks!

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Casey wrote: "I'm not usually on here enough to catch your updates as they happen, but there's something very satisfying about reading them with your review.
It's like the evolution of a shitshow right before m..."

Lol I lost it at "evolution of a shitshow" that was amazing. Thank you, Carey! I'm really glad I've been seeing you more around the site lately. 🤗

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Madam wrote: "“He’s also a self-absorbed jerk, but in the fanfiction world, that means ‘confidence’.”

W-Why do people still make this a thing?"

You know, I'm guilty of liking this trope but when the author makes the hero an aggro poutypants, I'm not into it 😑 No idea why people like this... But hey, it takes all kinds lmao