Blair's Reviews > The Tangled Woods

The Tangled Woods by Emily Raboteau

it was ok
bookshelves: 2018-release, contemporary, read-on-kindle, short-stories

An odious man takes his family on holiday to an equally odious novelty hotel. Our protagonist is busy keeping secrets from his wife, while his son is obsessed with completing a treasure trail by finding the 'sleeping wizard'. Irritated by everything and plagued by nightmares, it isn't long before Reginald is drawn into a confrontation with someone even more unlikeable than he is.

This is one of those horrible visions of modern America in which every adult is a bottomless well of grasping selfishness and every child is a whiny, snotty terror and everyone spends 95% of the time staring at their phone. It's the only one of the Dark Corners stories lacking a supernatural element. Funnily enough, it's also by far the most unpleasant.

I struggled to take this seriously for several reasons, most notably because Reginald's wife is named Ladette. (I'm sure this doesn't have the same resonance in the US but 'ladette' was a very common term in the UK circa the late 90s, used to describe women who supposedly behaved like men, i.e. female 'lads'.) Also, what is it with the weaker entries in this series and the pointless Harry Potter references?!

TinyLetter | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tangled Woods.

September 30, 2018 – Started Reading
September 30, 2018 – Shelved
September 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Alicia Williams I actually liked the HP references in the Trapdoor Spider. They made sense there as an element of the kids' imaginary world. Here they were just gratuitous and annoying.

I enjoyed your review... My sentiments exactly, but I only gave the story one star. :)