Maitraya Ghatak's Reviews > Noah's Ark

Noah's Ark by Peter Spier

U 50x66

bookshelves: exam-1

Noah’s Ark is a wordless picture book illustrated by Peter Spier. Receiving the Caldecott medal in 1978, Lewis Carroll Shelf Award in 1978, and National Book Award for Children’s Books, Picture Books (Paperback) in 1982, Noah’s Ark seems to be well deserving of these awards due to its elaborate illustrations. Even though there are two sentences and one poem (mainly narrating the sequence of events in the Biblical story of Noah’s Ark), the vast majority of the book is filled with pictures; hence, I categorize this as a wordless picture book. Noah’s Ark presents an artistic rendition of the Biblical story about Noah’s Ark. It depicts how Noah chooses animals and takes them on his ark, and finally settles a new colony. To me, the main attractions of this book are the detailed illustrations. There are elements of impressionism in the art. In particular, some paintings seem to have been rendered using only dots; hence, the book also utilizes stylistic elements of pointillism. Every time I gloss over these pictures, I still feel that I am missing out on some small details. The sophistication of this picture book is farther enhanced by a mixture of acrylic and water color paintings. The use of bright colors such as various shades of yellow and bright blue add to the life in this book. Each picture runs over the gutter, and the cover art presents yet another glimpse at the sophistication of Spier’s illustrations. I rated this book a five because children could spend countless hours glossing over the intricate details of the book. I will highly recommend this for the recommended age group of three to seven. Not only can children enjoy this book for long periods, but they can also learn about a Biblical story in the process.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Ark.

September 29, 2018 – Shelved