Matthew Galloway's Reviews > One of Us Is Lying

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

bookshelves: audiobook, mystery, ya, many-pov

Typically I'm not a huge fan of unreliable narrators or multiple POVs and this novel has both... and uses both excellently. Turns out that skillful, well-timed jumps from character to character make the whole, "Hey this is the most important thing I know but I'm not going to think about it," work way better than it does if you're just following one character. Some of the twists were obvious, some were not. You definitely come to care for all the characters and it's slightly excruciating -- in all the right ways -- waiting to find out who the killer really is. It's also strangely uplifting believing that each of them could do it and, hopefully, get away with it. There were a couple of pitfalls that the plot dodges. The only quibble there is that the characters are each set up to be "high school movie" cliches and that is initially grating. This actually becomes a strength as people realize they don't have to be in the boxes that society places them in for ease of understanding. Quite honestly, I've read quite a few adult novels of the same type this year -- and this novel surpasses them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Us Is Lying.

September 29, 2018 – Started Reading