Becky Spratford's Reviews > I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

Read 2 times

This is a true crime book that is very unique.

First of all, as we all know now, it wasn't solved before McNamara died suddenly and it was published that way, unsolved which is weird for a true crime book.

Second, we also know that it has since been solved and basically the way McNamara thought. She taunts the killer in th ebook that it only a matter of time before the DNA is matched.

And third, this book is great as a true crime book because it is well investigated, reported, and compellingly written, but it also serves as a memoir for McNamara herself.

Knowing she is dead and the killer was still on the lose was also sad and haunting.

I also learned about a very brutal and prolific serial killer who I had never heard of. The stories of his victims and his rampages were terrifying.

Parts of the book also serves as a history lesson in how crimes have been solved from the 1970s to the present.

Finally, the character sketches of the victims and their lives were well done. McNamara gave the victims the respect they deserve. This was not a salacious tale of rapes and murders. It was a sensitive discussion of the people who were killed. It was about them and honoring them more than it was about how they died.

Three Words That Describe This Book: Haunting, Compelling, Journalistic

Readalikes: Any true crime novels, but especially the more personal ones where the author inserts him or herself, like True Crime Addict by James Renner or the Serial podcast.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Gone in the Dark.

Finished Reading
February 27, 2018 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
February 27, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
September 29, 2018 – Shelved