Andrea's Reviews > Toxic

Toxic by Jus Accardo

Jan 01, 2012

Read in November, 2012

Toxic, book two in the Denazen Series, begins much the same as book one - with heroine Dez on the verge of pulling off a crazy dangerous stunt. That aspect to the series, the fearlessness, particularly on Dez's part, is what makes it stand apart from the rest.

Amid the action, we have Dez dealing with an uncertain future, and the question of her own sanity. Combine that with a power hunger father who will kill to get what he wants, and a hot, new chick who can touch Kale and live to gloat about it, and you can see why Dez is a little on edge these days. But, the girl always manages to hang tough. I admire that about her.

In all this, we still have Kale, who is adapting well to life on the outside. I really enjoyed his and Dez's interactions at the beginning of Toxic. Their chemistry was smokin' and I could really see myself getting behind what a lot of other readers see in him. What keeps me from truly loving Kale is his personality, or lack thereof. This makes me a big meanie because his naive, unsure personality is well-explained and makes perfect sense. I just prefer my leading men with a ton of personality. Still, though, I do like him. His sense of loyalty and kindness is admirable.

I felt that Toxic got off to a really great start. Kale and Dez are in a great place, the development that forces them to take a step back made sense. I get really antsy, though, when a third character is brought into the fold who, for some reason, has a special connection to one or the other. Then, the odd man (or girl) odd has to sit there and take it, because of the connection. (For example, Kaylee/Nash/Sabine) So in this case, we have Kale and Dez as the couple. Then, Jade comes in and gets in between the two because she can touch Kale without becoming ill, or dying. This is a very logical conflict, and I completely get why it is employed. But, it is one conflict that makes me a little crazy.

Despite my gripe, I did enjoy Toxic. With its crazy, action-packed plot and a heroine who can kick some tail, the Denazen Series is one that many fans of Paranormal Young Adult will enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toxic.